• Register
  • Help

Topic: The 16-velocity challange!

The 16-velocity challange!

As you might know, one of the big advantages about the White Grand is the fact that it has so many velocity splits. Every note has been recorded 32 times, that\'s 16 pedal up and 16 pedal down (plus 4 release samples).
    Ranging from pppp to ffff layers and all in between. In my opinion, this is the key to a sampled piano with natural feel and dynamics.
    Today, there\'s no sampled piano on the market that even gets close in this aspect.

I\'ve recieved many mails from customers who says that the White Grand not only sounds great, but also are so playable and ansers so good to dynamic playing. This is hard to get across only with mp3 demos, I suppose you must actually play it to experience it, but I would like to tyr to explain this anyway.

Let\'s illustrate this with a little picture:

If you look on the bar to the right, I\'ve tried to illustrate the change in timbre on a real piano. The colors represent the timbre. The softer you press a key, the \"lighter\" the color gets, the harder you hit it, the redder it gets.
    As you can see, using 16 velocities makes a much smoother trasition then using 8 or even less.

I then took the White Grand and crippled it a bit (*shrudder*).
    I made a 8 velocity version and a 4 velocity version. (that\'s pedal up samples).
    I then made a midi file that played a single note, going from veloity 8 to 127, adding 8 to the velocity for each hit, so it goes 8, 16, 32, 40 and so on.
    The original instrument I\'ve named the velocity layers from 1 to 16 where 1 is the loudest.
    In the 8 velocity version, I used 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14 and 16.
    In the 4 velocity version I used 2, 6, 10 and 14.
    I was prepared for a difference, but not quite this much....

You can listen to a mp3-file here.

First you\'ll hear the full version going up and down a couple of times, then the 8 split version, and then the 4 split version.

You can also download the midi file if you want to test this yourself. You can get it here.

Now, the sound of the White Grand is a thing of it\'s own, you can listen to the demos at SampleTekk, but this with 32 velocity splits are a thing that\'s harder to demonstrate and get a feel for just by listening to demos. I hope that this will give a bit more info about this.

Re: The 16-velocity challange!

A crazy idea: You and Hans Adamson should get together and make a new piano sample with the playability of the white grand and the sweetness and mellowness of Hans\' pianos! You both live in sweden, right? [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I didn\'t see any specs for using the White Grand on a Mac. Are you not recommending this for OS-X Mac/Halion users?

I don\'t see why not. I don\'t think the extra velocities take more toll on the processor. It\'s really mostly about polyphony.

Unity Session (here I go again) has long supported up to 128 velocity layers per note, I have used 32 before (on a Mac) and not run into problems.

Originally posted by Tarkio Road:
    I didn\'t see any specs for using the White Grand on a Mac. Are you not recommending this for OS-X Mac/Halion users?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">The White Grand works great on Mac! I must update that info!!!!!

Go Back to forum