• Register
  • Help

Topic: Beethoven String quartett op.130 Bb-Major - for orchestra

Share/Bookmark

Beethoven String quartett op.130 Bb-Major - for orchestra

Of all late Beethoven stringquarttet movements the 1st movement from op. 130 always had been the one that I had the least access to - because of it's complexity, many tempo changes, ...

But now as I also made an attempt to put it into a symphonic orchestra form, it became one of my favourite Beethoven movements:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth-op130-1-orch.mp3

The following movements:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth-op130-2-orch.mp3
    http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth-op130-4-orch.mp3
    http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth-op130-Cavatine-orch.mp3

Gerd

Re: Beethoven String quartett op.130 Bb-Major - for orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by gprengel View Post
    Of all late Beethoven stringquarttet movements the 1st movement from op. 130 always had been the one that I had the least access to - because of it's complexity, many tempo changes...
    Gerd, you do such excellent work, and this new rendering is no exception. It makes for a very rewarding listening experience - And what you've done stands as a superb example of what can be done with GPO. Thank you so much for the post.

Randy

Absolutely fantastic, Gerd. What a nice tribute to the good old Garritan libraries. And your orchestration its just superb! It's a pleasure to listen to such a clever approach. Even Beethoven would have liked it.

One small remark though. Something with the place (acoustic depth) isn't quite right. The wind sections sound in front of the strings. Try to reduce the dry reverb a bit more for the winds and keep the higher strings a bit dryer. (cellos and basses can have a bit more wet). And for the overall ambience a tiny pinch of tail reverb.. That way, you will create more stage depth.

But again, this is VERY nice and a excellent orchestration.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Absolutely fantastic, Gerd. What a nice tribute to the good old Garritan libraries. And your orchestration its just superb! It's a pleasure to listen to such a clever approach. Even Beethoven would have liked it.

One small remark though. Something with the place (acoustic depth) isn't quite right. The wind sections sound in front of the strings. Try to reduce the dry reverb a bit more for the winds and keep the higher strings a bit dryer. (cellos and basses can have a bit more wet). And for the overall ambience a tiny pinch of tail reverb.. That way, you will create more stage depth.

Max
    Dear Max, thank you for your kind remarks! This makes me very glad! But I don't know how to change the dry and wet reverbs for instruments. I cannot see such a funktion in my Kontakt Player. But in my GPO there is a function "Ambience Reverb" with dry/wet function but this is not for single instruments but only for the sound as a whole...

Gerd

Quote Originally Posted by gprengel View Post
    Dear Max, thank you for your kind remarks! This makes me very glad! But I don't know how to change the dry and wet reverbs for instruments. I cannot see such a funktion in my Kontakt Player. But in my GPO there is a function "Ambience Reverb" with dry/wet function but this is not for single instruments but only for the sound as a whole...

Gerd
    Hi Gerd,

In that case, you could try a program like VSS (Virtual Sound Stage) or VSL MIR 24. These are rather cheap and very good. Easy to handle too.

And What notation program do you use? Maybe you could use the instruments 'neutral' and add the appropriate reverb through your notation mixer in busses (group channels)? Or in your DAW if you use any. Such good music deserves a good spacial setting!

Max

Go Back to forum