• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: What's the Best translation?????

Share/Bookmark

What\'s the Best translation?????

I\'m wondering which format to buy a couple of collections in for the best translation to Giga. I have the Chicken systems translator. it\'s my understanding that the Roland architecture provided the most flexible programming for developers like Eric Persing. I don\'t have a Roland so i don\'t really know the archetecture that well. My question is should I buy the Roland collections and translate them? Or will the akai be just as good? Up til now i\'ve just been buying Akai libraries and translating them. Should I start buying Roland since they apparently are more flexible? Or does it matter? Anyone have much experience here?

Specifically, I\'m looking at more complicated libraries like Symphony of voices. I think VOTA is already available in Giga format but SOV is not. Suggestions please????

Re: What\'s the Best translation?????

S-Converter seems to translate SOV fine for me. But then I dont have an AKAI sampler to compare it to.

Ed

my problem with the one ROland library I converted is it didn\'t translate the patch settings into one file, but rather all seperate instuments. Really frusterating. but it might just be my own personal problem (I have a few).

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    my problem with the one ROland library I converted is it didn\'t translate the patch settings into one file, but rather all seperate instuments. Really frusterating. but it might just be my own personal problem (I have a few).
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ask Eric Persing about this (he goes by \"spectrum\" on this newsgroup), and he may be able to give you hints about the Roland translations. Also, you could write to Garth at Chicken Systems, who provides really good customer support.

On the Akai architectures, as I mentioned in my post to you on another thread, you can basically go one branch closer to the trunk when converting, and you\'ll get a GIG file with all the appropriate instruments. I can tell you for a fact that the Akai SOV will convert, because I worked with Garth on that over several revs of Translator to work out some little kinks. Unless it has gotten broken in a later rev, it was working great.

Best regards,
    Bruce

Thanks bruce, you must have written that in my post regarding the African voices. For some reason I can\'t open that post. I know there\'s 2 more responses since I read last but I can\'t read them, would you be able to paste in here what you wrote about that? Thanks so much.

Jeremy

yah what happened to that thread, I was interested in hearing what you ending up choosing to do.

How does CDXTRACT 4.0 compare with Chickensys Translator in translating to and from Giga format?

-- Martin

I can\'t speak for the Roland comparison, but I use the ChickenSys tool and have had great results with translating these AKAI libs: SOV, Retrofunk, Hans Zimmer Guitars II, Drone Archeology, and Digital Boy.

I have compared these translations with the S-Converter with GigaStudio and ChickenSys has always given me better results. For example the attacks and releases from the Akai libraries seem to be lost sometimes or wrong with the S-Converter.

Yea I\'ve had great success with the Chicken Sys translating Akai to Giga. But not Roland. I\'m sure it will work cause everything else I\'ve tried has been great, I\'m just not sure what i\"m doing wrong. My real question is does anyone think it\'s worth getting the Roland library for the Roland programming? I dunno... I\'m agreeing with King idiot these days.... I\'m an idiot!!!!!

King idiot..... regarding that thread.. I don\'t know what happened. everytime i\'d try to post i\'d get a reply the board was down, then before I knew it I\'d click on the link and it said it didn\'t exist.... for a brief moment I felt the whole health of the board was on my shoulders.... oh the pressure...........

To answer your question:
    I got the Heart of Africa vol. 1 and it worked well. I pulled the job off and got a cool new library, although I never quite got the official imfamous \"hhhhhummmmm\". I got a good humm... but the hhhhhhhhhhummmmm I couldn\'t quite get.

The library is really quite good though. It was a good purchase although it\'s not really what I wanted to buy this week. I really want to get SOV and VOTA as soon as I can. But, hey I got to buy samples that get me work, and this week I\'m an African! - sort of -

J-

Go Back to forum