• Register
  • Help

Topic: New Demo

New Demo

I slapped together a new composition during the weekend, it\'s not too long (sorry, only had 2 days) but here you go.

Inspiration for this came from playing Morrowind I suppose, and a bit of Damon\'s recent piece. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Comments are appreciated. And don\'t be too critical, this is my second attempt at composing so be merciful. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: New Demo

Dear friend,

No worries. First of all I love its fluent expression. If nobody is anwering you here - its just because you make people nervous.

Now that being said its too wet. People always wanna hide their flaws in reverb - but nevertheless - it seems to drown a bit.

I love you stringwork - and your movements works very well. The beginning is a little stiff. The harp and strings dont seem to pitch that good.

Could you tell me what instruments you are using? I would like to know - because you seem to create a very broad soundpicture.

Yours truly -

What strings are those?

Great work!

After spending so much time with strings, I realize this is great work so I dont want to diminish it any with these suggestions comment....

Try layering some short bows and mixing them in really lightly here and there on 8th note/shorter sections.

The last chord sounds a bit \"fake\", It seems a bit \"perfect\". I\'m not sure it can be fixed without layering in a few solo strings tho.

Still it has a strange attack...almost time stretched/cut

Thanks folks for the constructive comments! I agree, the mix is a bit too wet and I\'ll definitely change that.

I\'ll put up a separate mp3 of the strings later today, I think I did some nice movements that remain somewhat hidden in the mix. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'ll take a look at that last chord, King. IMO, it also sets in a bit too late but that may be just me. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The strings are Kirk Hunter. For brass and reeds I use Dan Dean, and the choir is Siedlaczek.

Nice composition Sovereign [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The only thing that I would comment on is adding maybe some more expression to the strings, but the writing is great and for your second attempt, very nice job!

Btw, if want a useful tip, some might not agree with me on this here, but here it is anyway for expression. If your wave editor has an envelope control for volume, try using it for adding more swells in volume and dips. This way you don\'t have to go back and redo the strings expression again in your sequencer. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I record all of my string sections seperately when I capture to audio, so that way I can add more volume control to each section if it needs it. Obviously if you captured to audio the entire song, you cant do this, but if you do it in sections, it can help.

Hi Damon,

I think the reverb could be drowning the strings\' expressiveness, which I did add. Or it may be too subtle. In any case I\'ve uploaded a strings only track now:

I was actually forced to render each section (reed, brass, etc.) to wav individually and mix \'em together later on, because my system was literally crushed under the weight of all the samples and I experienced lots of missing notes, etc. Guess 512 mb is not enough. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum