• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: What about a jazz clari?

Share/Bookmark

What about a jazz clari?

What\'s everyone\'s oppinion on a good jazz clarinet, is there one that up there like the saxes?

Thanks,

Ben H

Re: What about a jazz clari?

Ben,

I haven\'t seen one or heard one as a sample.
    Maybe Sharmy add some light here in one of his demos where I did hear a clarinet.

One will need a good bend patch with in its legato patch. VSL has such a patch for the two sax library and can be articulated on one midi track if one is careful with how smooth you move your fingers from not to note. I have toyed with this patch on the Soprano and Tenor.

I think that VSL can come out with such a clarinet when time permits..

Alan Russell

Sharmy,

I knew I heard one of your demos with it..oh well..if I hit the mega lotto tonight..put my order in..

Alan Russell

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Regarding VSL Clarinet, here\'s a short piece that features it. This was used in one of my PBS series, but was actually inspired by walking by the bedroom very early one morning, and seeing my wife still asleep.

Sleeping Angel

There are some various other VSL metallic percussion tinklies, etc. Some strings, used as a pad, and I actually have no idea which ones. Same with the guitar...it may be Kip\'s Archtop \"thumb.\" Sorry...it has been a while and I didn\'t keep any notes. I wasn\'t being particularly conscious of reality on the guitar, as you guitar-o-philes will note. But it will give you an idea how the VSL clarinet sounds in a non-orchestral context. This is the legato performance instrument, probably the softer one.

Thanks,

Now to keep putting money aside... Hopefully VSL will do a jazz clari before I fork out the $$$ for VSL Pro.

Ben H

Sharmy, I`m thing of getting the Pro perf. set. One of these days(if i can ever afford it..)Will that do most of the clarinette of do u need the samples from the Pro Cube as well? Thanks, Rich

Bruce,

very beautiful and convincing. Great job..

BTW, I did find Wayne Shorter\'s
    \"Children of the night\" with Art Blakey on the Mosaic Album. The Chords are wild..

Alan Russell

Originally posted by Sharmy:
    Rich,

You may miss the cube stuff on trills and some staccs etc but the pro performance is 90% of what I use on clarinet.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Sharm..Thats what i thought. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Peace, Rich

The thing about jazz clarinet is that it\'s legal to use vibrato, while the music police will come with the cuffs if you do that in an orchestral context.

Nice tune, Bruce.

Go Back to forum