• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Collaboration with Erika - beginning to bear fruit!

Share/Bookmark

Collaboration with Erika - beginning to bear fruit!

Here is the intro, first verse and chorus of the song we are working on. She wrote melody and lyrics. Accompaniment is GAS, SAM horn from GPO, strings and bass from Dimension Pro.

A better vocal will be recorded soon, but this gives you an idea. I am really enjoying working with her.

UPDATE: I have improved the tuning and the mix. Updated file is below.

https://app.box.com/s/22mm2u4tkodhhvedm55i
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: Collaboration with Erika - beginning to bear fruit!

You two are already quite a terrific team. You're both fortunate to have each other's creativity to work with in this very promising collaboration. - It's exciting to hear this song in progress! - Sad, plaintive, soulful in a way that people enjoy immersing themselves in. I wish you both good fortune as you continue work on this song.

The quality of the vocal seems better than last time - Is Erika using a different mike now? It does need to be re-done, as you say in your post, and primarily because of the shattering that's happening on the louder notes. It's really difficult, especially for someone with such a strong voice, to not peak out like that. There's the classic mike technique of needing to pull way back from the mike and then to bring it up close for the whispering notes - and that's a fairly intuitive technique. But hardware compressors are used to help with that issue, and that's probably not a piece of equipment she'll be getting soon.

My suggestion is to not be concerned with recording a vocal track which is at the full over-all volume needed in the mix. It can be too low, at least it won't shatter, and then it's just one of your jobs, Owen, to bring it up, use compression to even it out - etc.

Thanks for this tantalizing peek into your new project with Erika!

Randy

Thanks so much for the suggestion. I will be working with her to address the shattering issue. Yes, she does have a better mike - this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Samson-Mic-Com.../dp/B001R76D42 which she got on sale for $20 at Radio Shack.

I still hope she can get a better one, though - anyone have a suggestion for something in the $100 range? It would have to be a USB mike.

Here's a recording of her singing the entire song with her sister on guitar - shows what her voice is like when she sings with an accompaniment and therefore I don't have to use a bunch of pitch and time correction:

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    ...Here's a recording of her singing the entire song with her sister on guitar...
    That sounds pretty great! She doesn't peak out in that recording, and I think it's because the mike has been placed where it's picking up both her and the guitar for a good blend. That makes her farther from the mike, as per what I said in the earlier post. It doesn't matter if she sends you a vocal track which is generally too low - you just bring it up.

There aren't any pitch issues in this guitar version either. I think that's because of her having greater confidence singing live with an instrument. When she's doing her voice track for you, is she listening to the piano on headphones? That must be the way you're doing it, so she has a pitch reference and it's not in free time that you have to slice and dice to get right in the mix. Notice, though, that in the piano track, there are some pitchy moments - whereas there aren't any in the guitar version.

Randy

The way we did this was kinda odd. She recorded the vocal unaccompanied, with no reference, so I could learn the song. There is a lot of pitch drift and mistimings in that take.The plan was for me to work on the accompaniment and send it to her, which she would use to record a proper vocal. However, I wanted to hear it together at this stage, but Erika has had a bad throat infection for a while so I decided to just use what she had sent me and do oodles of pitch correction - I am needing the practice working with my new software. OK, I was excited to hear it and didn't want to wait any longer!

Anyway, she has no pitch issues when singing with a reference.

Outstanding.

I'm waiting for the complete song

Very nice work.

Best,

Fred.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by boulifb View Post
    Outstanding. I'm waiting for the complete song
    Me too! I'm so excited! She's a very talented singer-songwriter, and I'm so happy I'm getting to work with her.

UPDATE: I have improved the tuning and the mix. Updated file is here:

https://app.box.com/s/22mm2u4tkodhhvedm55i

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    ...She recorded the vocal unaccompanied, with no reference, so I could learn the song. There is a lot of pitch drift and mistimings in that take.The plan was for me to work on the accompaniment and send it to her, which she would use to record a proper vocal. However, I wanted to hear it together at this stage, but Erika has had a bad throat infection for a while so I decided to just use what she had sent me and do oodles of pitch correction - I am needing the practice working with my new software. OK, I was excited to hear it and didn't want to wait any longer!...

UPDATE: I have improved the tuning and the mix...
    I get the picture clearly - You're stoked on the project, and so have been working with what you currently have from Erika, even though it's not ideal, since she was singing a capella.

In the video with her sister on guitar, Erika sounds totally confident and her pitch is sure, as I said before. Clearly, when she's able to do a new track with your backing tracks in her headphones, the results will be just great.

Meanwhile, your new mix with this scratch vocal is indeed even better than the first. Looks like you're getting a good handle on your new software, Owen. Up to :45, before she really opens up, I think her volume is just a shade under what it could be, with some words barely being heard. BUT I think this really is fine for now - You can now just anxiously await when she's able to record again!--And when she does, she'll need to be encouraged to keep giving herself a critical listen to make sure she hasn't peaked out.

Randy

Yes, Randy, you get me! Glad someone does.

Thanks for the observation about the volume level of the vocal at the start. I had actually taken it down a bit since it was too overwhelming for the softer accompaniment. It appears I took it down too much.

Look forward to posting the finished song soon.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast