• Register
  • Help

Topic: Dave Govett -Is this possible when building a crossfade?

Share/Bookmark

Dave Govett -Is this possible when building a crossfade?

Hello Dave. I am building some crossfades out of older libraries. Each note has a seperate mono sample for right and left. I\'ve been looking at the GOS crossfades, and they appear to be built from stereo samples which are not split.

The problem I\'m running into is because they are split mono samples I have to use one layer for L and another for R. By the time I build the full crossfade inst. there are 8 layers. The crossfade editor will only deal with four layers and crashes when I try to open this 8 layer inst. Is there a way around this, or do I have to export all of the old samples and mix the mono left and right samples down to stereo?

Thanks

Re: Dave Govett -Is this possible when building a crossfade?

I sure do hope 3.0 will address this. (believe it or not, I don\'t know yet)
    Anyway, for now, you should be able to do this but it won\'t be as convieninet as the crossfade tool with the graphics. Those crossfade volume settings can be set manually in the \"Mix Layer\" tab for each layer that you have. You will see two settings for in and two for out points. They represent the four points that you see on those cool graphical envelopes and range from 0-127 midi steps. So, the first thing to do is practice with the graphical tool and watch the settings that show up in the mix layer tab as you make adjustments with the graphical envelopes. (be sure to hit the apply button to see the results) You can then write down the number settings you will need and apply them to your 8 layer instrument appropriately.
    See if that works for you and let us know how it goes.
    Cheers
    Dave

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Guys,

Wouldn\'t it be possible to also export the waveforms and combine these dual mono files into a single stereo file in a waveform editor like Sound Forge, Wavelab, etc.? That might simplify your mapping operations quite a bit, depending on the complexity of the instrument.

Obviously, better handling of the mono/stereo situation is the ultmate answer. I think the original intent must have been conservation, but any increase in dimensioning capability should really include a re-thinking of the whole mono/stereo UI methodology.

Funny you should mention that bruce, I found myself in a similar position a couple of days ago. The solution was to export all the mono wavs, load them up in sound forge and combine each L & R sample to a stereo file and save. Took a good 1 hour to complete.

I was making a 4-way x-fade patch and I had 8 layers from the mono samples. Not an easy solution, but at least it worked.

Thomas

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    Funny you should mention that bruce, I found myself in a similar position a couple of days ago. The solution was to export all the mono wavs, load them up in sound forge and combine each L & R sample to a stereo file and save. Took a good 1 hour to complete.

I was making a 4-way x-fade patch and I had 8 layers from the mono samples. Not an easy solution, but at least it worked.

Thomas
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, it\'s tedious. Seems to me this would be a built-in feature/routine of the editor...one of those tasks that a programmer could accomplish in very little time, but that costs the collective user-community thousands and thousands of man hours.

Go Back to forum