• Register
  • Help

Topic: Distorted Reality - Audio vs AKAI??

Share/Bookmark

Distorted Reality - Audio vs AKAI??

I want to purchase the DR cd\'s to be used in HALion or other sampler. Is there a quality difference between the AKAI and Audio versions? I can\'t help notice the huge price difference. Basically I want to buy whatever version will import and sound best.

thanks,

brian

Re: Distorted Reality - Audio vs AKAI??

Brian,
    Both versions will work fine in Halion. I believe there are less programs and sounds in the audio version vs the akai one.
    I just bought the Akai version myself.

A must for all sorts of ambient tracks...

FV,

i wasn\'t aware that DR2 had any groove control features. You wouldn\'t be mistaking it for Bizare Guitars (also nicknamed DR3) by any chance?

I might be wrong though...?

Hi Patrick,

You\'re right (I just checked on the Ilio website). I must have been thinking about Bizarre Guitar. Thank you for the correction and apologies for the misinformation.

FV

p.s. - I still stand behind my recommendation that, because of the weird way some of the loops are constructed in the ambient textures, it is much more useful to get the Akai version IMHO.

I guess EP is not around.
    I\'m sure he\'ll help clarify the difference...

Hi Brian,

I really recommend the Akai version of the DR discs. DR2 is a groove-control disk so any of the rhythmic loops are pre-mapped and sliced for you. Also, many of the sounds on both versions are looped (and some are looped differently between the left and right channels) which will be extremely time-consuming to reproduce when using the Audio version.

Yes, it costs more, but I would highly recommend the pre-programmed Akai version because it is worth it based on the time you save. For regular loop CD\'s that are not pre-sliced (such as BT Breakz From The NuSkool, etc.), the audio version is the better deal IMHO and only costs you a little bit in terms of programming.

Some of the DR sounds have been used so heavily that have become cliche (and can be spotted a mile away) but still very useful, especially when you\'re short on time. Good luck with your decision.

FV

Originally posted by P de Caumette:
    FV,

i wasn\'t aware that DR2 had any groove control features. You wouldn\'t be mistaking it for Bizare Guitars (also nicknamed DR3) by any chance?

I might be wrong though...?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There is a seperate disk you can buy with just the DR1 and 2 grooves on there but in Groove Control format. perhaps thats what he meant.

Ed

Nope...there\'s no Groove Control version of DR. IT was originally planned, but there wasn\'t enough interest to do it...and it evolved into Metamorphosis (hence the name BTW!)...which has completely all new material in the same sound design type of concept and is fully Groove Controlled.

DEFINITELY get the Akai version of either DR1 or DR2 for use in HALion, Giga or any other soft sampler. Each of the CD-ROM versions has almost DOUBLE the material of the audio versions....which are missing many of the coolest sounds.

spectrum

Originally posted by spectrum:
    Nope...there\'s no Groove Control version of DR. IT was originally planned, but there wasn\'t enough interest to do it...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It was on the ilio site for ages!!! Ahh damn.

Ed

Go Back to forum