• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Win XP 64bit!?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Win XP 64bit!?

Wow! One day in the distant future..16Gb Ram!

That version has been out for a while. If memory serves though, you need the right hardware to run it, Itanium processor etc.

The 64bit desktop edition is code named Longhorn and should be out next year;

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_alpha.asp

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/longhorn_4015.asp

Yeah, Scott\'s right. This has been out for two years. Very few applications have been written to take advantage of it. I think it\'s mostly for scientific research computing.

Windows XP 64-bit has been out for awhile, but apparently only available for certain pre-ordered workstations that were intended for business use only. No real point of 64-bit yet, considering the lack of support right now. Give it another year, and I\'m sure we\'ll see things changing.

Jared

There\'s coming a pre-release version for Athlon64 / Opteron cpus [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

sorry for being repetitive

http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,112749,pg,6,00.asp

quoting a part of the article:
    .... More important, 64-bit drivers for common hardware, such as printers, will be scarce when the OS debuts. ...
    -----
    What about the next version of Windows, code-named Longhorn? When it arrives (unlikely before 2005), Longhorn will also come in 32- and 64-bit flavors, but even then the 64-bit version may not be offered at retail.

After the new OS launches, the transition to full 64-bit computing will likely take far longer. That\'s because XP 64 will benefit only those users who have 64-bit applications--which won\'t be in great supply, at least for the next couple of years.

Among the first 64-bit consumer apps will be high-end games such as Unreal Tournament 2003 (via a patch developer Epic Games planned to make available at Athlon 64\'s launch) and video encoders such as DivXNetworks\' Dr. DivX (due shortly after the Athlon 64 launch; it should be bundled with higher-end Athlon 64 PCs). Accordingly, Microsoft is working hard with video-capture-card and joystick vendors to develop 64-bit drivers for their gear.

But even users who get XP 64 and the Unreal patch won\'t see much of a difference from the 32-bit version of the game. Tim Sweeney, Epic Games\' founder and lead programmer, says the true benefits of 64-bit computing will be fully exploited only in a new generation of games (including the next Unreal) that won\'t ship until 2005.

IDC analyst Roger Kay says it will take at least 18 months for new apps and lower hardware prices to make a 64-bit desktop OS mainstream. \"Give it time,\" he counsels.
    -----

Let\'s place realistical bets, but I don\'t think 64bit softsampling on windows will be available to the masses during this year.
    (think about the zillion of soundcard drivers that need to be rewritten,
    Too much pain, plus think about the win-tel monopoly. Intel tanium 64bit boxes are still expensive as hell and are not meant for desktop usage. Intel does not want AMD winning on the 64bit desktop so it probably tries to convince billy boy to put less resources into development of win64 on AMD.
    As mentioned in my other post, this is the first time in history that there will be an incompatible Windows fork between two CPUs, ok let\'s be more precise: there will be probably be 3 versions of windows: windows-32bit , windows-64bit-intel , windows-64bit-amd.
    Imagine the pain for companies needing to write drivers, writing and optimize apps for multiple windows versions/CPUs.
    I guess many will choose the mainstream architecture and leave the others behind because of the cost and small ROI.
    I could be wrong but I think it will reflect more or less what will happen.
    The 32bit to 64bit is not going to be painless so be prepared to accept a bumpy transition period or stay with \"old technology\" for 1-2 more years.
    (The above applies to Windows, not Linux :-) )

cheers,
    Benno
    http://www.linuxsampler.org

Originally posted by sbenno:

Let\'s place realistical bets, but I don\'t think 64bit softsampling on windows will be available to the masses during this year.
    (think about the zillion of soundcard drivers that need to be rewritten,
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">

probably not to the masses, but I just need one driver developer to do it (M-Audio)

Too much pain, plus think about the win-tel monopoly. Intel tanium 64bit boxes are still expensive as hell and are not meant for desktop usage. Intel does not want AMD winning on the 64bit desktop so it probably tries to convince billy boy to put less resources into development of win64 on AMD.

Itanium is DOA, IMO. x86-64 (Athlon 64) will ship in quantity this year, and a preview OS is available right now. I think things will accelerate (but agree widespread 64bit native apps won\'t occur this year)

As mentioned in my other post, this is the first time in history that there will be an incompatible Windows fork between two CPUs, ok let\'s be more precise: there will be probably be 3 versions of windows: windows-32bit , windows-64bit-intel , windows-64bit-amd.

I don\'t think this is new. Windows NT was cross platform (DEC Alpha, MIPS and PowerPC) but x86 prevailed. As a matter of fact Sonic Foundry used to provide all their audio apps in NT/Alpha format.

I believe intel will introduce support for x86-64 relatively soon, they\'ve certainly been hinting at it lately.

(The above applies to Windows, not Linux :-) )
    aha! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

SUPERMICRO
    already has MOBOS- sorry server based systems. its going to be a while before this is important to us

benno, i totally share your concerns regarding soundcard drivers, but you might have missed the release of the IA32 execution layer. also it is common practice to release an OS with several HALs (hardware abstraction layers) to allow installation on differently designed systems.
    christian

Go Back to forum