• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: is it a real Bosendorfer?

Share/Bookmark

Re: is it a real Bosendorfer?

Sounds good, except the constant clicking in the mp3. Is this a voice stealing problem? Also there are 2 \"clicks\" at about 70% into the mp3. What are those?

At any rate I think you sold me. How much will it be, and when will it be available? How large is it? Will there be a lite version?

Thomas

I know I\'ve said this before, about Michiel Post\'s work, but WOW. (Or as the Dad from \"Everybody Loves Raymond\" would say, \"Holy Crap\".

This is one fine piano!

If it sounds this good in mp3 format (encoded at 128) imagine how good the real thing will sound!

Congratulations to Mr. Post!

Lawrence

The core piano sound is great, aside from the constant pops of course.

My biggest complaint with the piano demos I\'ve heard to date is that the dynamics (velocities) are very audibly quantized, if that makes any sense; it\'s noticeable e.g. when simple < > phrasing is attempted but comes out sounding like an unfeeling and/or amateur player. The effect is still there in this recording, but is reduced enough that I\'m tempted to question the performance, i.e. I\'d have to try the library myself on a really nice keyboard to know whether it would be present in my own playing.

is it a real Bosendorfer?

Chad Twedt provided us with this incredible demo for our new Grandioso Bosendorfer 290. We think even the most picky set of ears will have a hard time telling that this is a giga piano as opposed to a real live piano. Or maybe we finally created a sampled piano that sounds absolutely like the real thing.

Catoire demo PMI Grandioso Bosendorfer 290

The demo was performed by Kevin Hadsell (www.kevinhadsell.com) with the “wet” sample set and a little reverb coming from NFX1 in a small hall setting. No eq, no compression or level changes were applied.

We will start a limited introduction offer of the first reproduction run (25 copies) later this week. Keep you informed.

Michiel Post
    Post Musical Instruments

This demo isn\'t as convincing as Alberto\'s, and yes there are clicks; but the amazing power and clarity of the sample is evident. I don\'t like nfx reverb, but that\'s another issue. Michiel, how do I get one of the first 25? I\'m at dohgrant@sympatico.ca

By the way, Lawrence, you got my new email, right?

John
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html

By the way, Lawrence, you got my new email, right?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I do now!

Lawrence

Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    Sounds good, except the constant clicking in the mp3. Is this a voice stealing problem? Also there are 2 \"clicks\" at about 70% into the mp3. What are those?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Thomas,
    The original MP3 has been replaced by fresh one. The original was recorded by Chad and encoded with 126 kbps and had clicks, probably because he used GST 96 and Kevins playing reaches that limit very often. Today I recieved the WAV file and used a de-clicker to remove these polyphony clicks. I encoded it at 320 kbps.

The other two \"strange\" sounds you hear (at 70%) are the pedal noises (!). We will use VIRTUOSO tool to add a pedal noise upon activation and release of the sustain pedal, a feature which can be turned on and off as needed.

At any rate I think you sold me. How much will it be, and when will it be available? How large is it? Will there be a lite version?
    Thomas
    [/QUOTE]

The total file size is only 2.1 GB. There are a total of 16 recorded velocity layers, seperate samples for sustain pedal up and pedal down, and there are release samples. Then we offer two recording perspectives: one close miked and one with some distance so that it shows the full breathing sound including some room ambience. There are patches that can crossfade between these two sample sets for ultimate ambience control.

I don\'t think there will be light version, since the library isn\'t extremely big at the moment. I do intend to update the library with the introduction of GST v3, but that is a different story.

The price is not fixed yet, but it will be below that of Grandioso Steinway D, which was very expensive to produce (being a 4 cd-set, expensive studios and months of work for us).
    I will start a first sales run this week. I\'ll post a message when it is avaialable via my website.

the new demo is now online:
    new Catoire demo PMI Grandioso Bosendorfer 290

Michiel Post

This demo isn\'t as convincing as Alberto\'s
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks John! That demo sounds beautiful too!
    With such a great demos we\'ve made using PMI Bosendorfer 290 I think users can have a good idea of this library also if mp3 demo samples are famous to be not so good for testing sound libraries.

I can assure that no clicks are generated by the library while playing it, my demos can easily prove this.

Congratulations again for the great music by Chad Twedt, Kevin Hadsell (great performer!) and to PMI for releasing the Grandioso serie.

for everyone interested in listening to my demos too:

www.albertorizzoschettino.com/pmi/bosendorfer.html

Musically,
    Alberto

I really love the sound of this library, very convincing!
    I did some testing with the width of the stereo image of Alberto\'s demo\'s (stereo imaging in SoundForge) and got the impression that the sound remains ok when you reduce the image towards mono (unlike GigaPiano).
    As I actually hardly know what I\'m talking about here [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] : has this been tested or verified during the sampling project? I think for orchestral piano \"applications\" this is a desirable feature.

Regards,

Go Back to forum