• Register
  • Help

Topic: BRUCE I NEED HELP!!!

Share/Bookmark

BRUCE I NEED HELP!!!

Hi Bruce, i need a recording tip, i\'ve been asked to record a choir, 16 people/satb, but the booth i have has a low ceiling, and isnt particularly big, i want to give it a try though, so i was wondering what miking techniques you would think are apropriate. I have an akg 414 tlII, and an audio technica 4047, ( aside from the assorted sm57s and 58s )

Re: BRUCE I NEED HELP!!!

This article really helped me a lot when I recorded a choir a few years back. Look at the two part THE CHOIR MASTERS. Hope it helps!

http://www.soundonsound.com/search?url=%2Fsearch&Keyword=choir&Words=All&Secti on=+&Subject=+&Month=+&Year=+&Summary=No&Articles= Search+Articles

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

In a small room, your issues are going to be what distance you can afford to work, vs. the point where the room saturates and you begin to get more \"room\" than \"direct\" signal. Wherever it crosses the line, you\'re going to hear \"the box\" more than the group.

So, I would recommend that if your room isn\'t already VERY dead, to make it as dead as you possibly can for the session, with whatever absorptive materials you can get. You won\'t get usable ambient content out of it, so you need to minimize the room imprint as much as possible so it won\'t \"ghost\" itself onto whatever ambience you create.

Can you rent mics? If not, I\'d probably opt for closer coverage with the 57s in more places...that will probably give you more ability to pan out the signal than a really sensitive condenser, that\'s going to grab everything in the room. If you have plenty of tracks, and enough preamps to do it, put up the individual mics to capture \"slices\" and perhaps do a mid-side pair with the two condensers, using the 414 in figure 8 and the 4047 in cardioid. That way, you\'ll have everything covered in different ways, and you can choose the best sound in post. That would also in theory allow you to time-align the individual slices to the stereo pair...so all your options would be covered about as well as you can cover them under the circumstances.

Thank you very much Bruce and T., the room is already pretty dry, although there is one untreated wall, i\'ll try to make it even drier. And i will try moving the mics around taking your suggestions as a starting point, if i find out it doesnt work, i\'ll try to use a church or something like that ( if possible ).

Go Back to forum