Topic: Questions About Wind Controllers

Share/Bookmark

Questions About Wind Controllers

Hi all,

Let\'s take a simple legato patch sample here:

Can a wind controller:

bend a note?
    Control vibrato with lip and chops?
    Can one expect to produce many more articulations due to the fact they are using a wind controller?

Finally,

what is the magic in using a wind controller?
    Pleaase list the things one can expect compared to using a master keyboard controller to blow out choruses of a reed or horn part.

Example: Morning Dance - Smooth Jazz instrumental utilizing the Yamaha WX5 wind controller and VL70m sound module combo.

http://www.gimmedabeat.com/wmaDemos/Margaritta.wma

I need to know ASAP..

Thanks in advance

Alan Russell

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Questions About Wind Controllers

Originally posted by Alan Russell:
    Hi all,

Let\'s take a simple legato patch sample here:

Can a wind controller:

bend a note?
    Control vibrato with lip and chops?
    Can one expect to produce many more articulations due to the fact they are using a wind controller?

Finally,

what is the magic in using a wind controller?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">As a sax player, you\'d pretty much experience a night and day difference.

The primary thing a wind controller does for you is imprint your physical control of air onto the sample at hand.

Take the VSL Tenor as an example. I\'m sure you\'ve noticed that even the softer-velocity legato instrument has a lot of \"t\" on the attack, and that you can\'t emulate, say, a Dexter Gordon sort of articulation with it very easily. With the wind controller, your airstream blowing against its natural resistance is going to give you control of that existing articulation. If you play \"foo\" attacks with your air, the portion of the existing waveform that\'s giving a hard attack is going to be attenuated.

I could go on for days, but the difference is definitely shocking and dramatic. Being a horn player yourself, you know that there are things that you do with your airstream on each note that you couldn\'t draw with a controller with all the time in the world. With a wind controller, those physical phenomena get imprinted onto the sound. It has the uncanny result of making the sample sound much more like \"you\" playing...your signature \"isms\" will start appearing in the work.

Disadvantages:

Not many libraries are set up for wind control--some that are, are not set up well. I\'m not even going to get into it right now, but if you get a controller we can perhaps talk on the phone and I can guide you through the process. Essentially, it involves making all the velocity curves \"linear/low\" so that the engine is not responding to key velocity, then changing the attenuation controller to CC2 (breath). My strategy is to make copies within the GIG file of the instruments I want to convert to wind control, since this conversion renders the instrument useless for conventional use. By making a copy of the instrument within the GIG file rather than creating a new GIG file, you don\'t clog up your drives with useless info. The slight downside is that if your sample library manufacturer comes up with an updated ART file for a given GIG file, then upgrading the ART file will overwrite your new wind control instruments. In reality, once a library has been out a while, that usually doesn\'t happen much...even if it does, once you\'ve learned to convert the instruments it\'s not all that hard to re-do.

The other thing I find advantageous about the wind controller is the fact that it\'s like playing a horn, and it changes the choices you make as a player. Being a sax player, it means that your fingers are going to start walking familiar turf, and all your favorite licks are going to be right there, good or bad.

The advantage of a wind controller like a WX5 over a BREATH controller on a keyboard is that the breath controller does not affect the note on. It only sends a continuous stream of information. On a WX5, pushing keys does nothing until you feed it breath, then it plays the note on value according to your attack level, and dynamics according to your continual breath pressure.

You can program the \"reed\" to send pitch information. So, in essence, you CAN express vibrato. Personally, I disable mine, because I don\'t find the replication of chops to pitch that authentic. But then again, I\'m not a sax player, and my embouchure undoubtedly leaves something to be desired.

Bruce,

may I copy your reply to my website for others to read when time permits. You have really nailed this one down here with very useful
    hands-on information.

Superb reply!

Alan Russell

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Sure, no problem, Alan. If you end up getting a wind controller at some time, I\'ll be happy to walk you through converting an instrument. Once you\'ve done one, they all convert pretty much alike.

Bruce,

thanks for the permission and I\'ll let you know when and if I do get a WX5.

BTW, I got lucky tonight, I hit the Megaball number of 13. Well that\'s $2 more dollars towards the Wx5...actually I just bought another 2 quick picks for the 121 Megaball million for Tuesday.

If I hit, I\'m buying the Northern Sounds Website.

Alan Russell

Last Thanksgiving, my friend brought over his wind controller. Just after dinner I announced to our guests that before dessert is served my friend would demonstrate his wind controller for all of us. Well, that pretty much ruined the evening as all the guests insisted on leaving early.

I have no experience with the Yamaha models, but I\'ve been playing an Akai EVI ever since I tried one out at NAMM in 1988. Where expression is concerned, it\'s an absolute dream compared to a keyboard. Dynamics, bending, vibrato, articulation and portamento are all instantly available with the responsiveness of a wind instrument.

Unfortunately I found that this really only worked well with its dedicated analog synth. All my early experiences using it with MIDI modules, even using specially programmed \"wind controller banks,\" were disappointing by comparison and I haven\'t tried it that way in years.

I\'m sure some of the more recent modelling synths would work better, and if any of the crop of current software samplers can be programmed to properly handle the flood of incoming wind controller data to play these great new libraries, it could be Nirvana. (The state of being, not the band)

i know simon raven uses a vl-70m but hes not here...i have one but draw the controller information in....breath control and modulation..with a pencil tool in cubase.

Marko, I could easily clear a room by singing. That doesn\'t mean voice is a lousy instrument.

Seanmccoy, I\'ve gone on and on about the Yamaha VL1 being nirvana with a wind controller before, so I wouldn\'t presume to do that again. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Also, the VL1 came out in 1994, I believe, so this isn\'t new in digital terms!

\"Wind controller banks\" are usually as good or bad as the instrument they\'re programmed for, in my experience.

Bruce mentioned a \"Breath\" controller. Is this different then a Wind Controller? Where might someone find a breath controller?

J-

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast