• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Guitar Library Idea: Free to all developers!

Share/Bookmark

Guitar Library Idea: Free to all developers!

Well, I just don\'t have the time to produce this library, but hopefully some developer or guitar player will read this and produce this library. There IS a market for it, you WILL sell copies since there is no other competition for it.

Gig 1: General Chord Strums
    Up and down strokes. (about 2 octaves each way)
    Velocities: (mutes, short and long sustains)
    Keyswitched Chords: (minor,major,sus, etc.)

Gig 2: Rock bar chords
    Up and down strokes: (about 2 octaves each way)
    Velocities: (mutes, short and long sustains)
    Keyswitches: Don\'t have any ideas here?

Gig 3 and gig 4, would be doubled versions of the above gigs. This is the process of sampling another strum but have each strum (2 total) panned hard left and hard right. If done correctly you have a perfect pop/rock guitar sound!

Gig 5: Effects. A 5th gig of effects only would be sweet. We\'re talking fret noise (up and down), pick scrapes, pick sounds, a few slides, etc.

To really get the most appeal out of the box I would recommend at least 2 versions of each gig file. Ocourse provide the clean version, but it would be so cool to have pre-processed distorted versions using your guitar amps/effects to get that big rock chord sound.

What\'s weird is, we\'ve had acoustic versions of these gig files available now for about 3 years. Why these same acoustic developers did not produce electric versions I\'ll never know!!

Well, there you go, there\'s your business plan for your next product. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Guitar Library Idea: Free to all developers!

Munsie,

A couple of colleagues and I recently completed a library project which is in the ballpark of what you\'re asking for, but we did it as an Acid loops project rather than straight sampler library. We went for the loops approach because it meant a little more realism in the strumming area and a bit more flexability in terms of tempo (given that we didn\'t want to release a 10gb rhythm guitar library). I know a large, detailed and dedicated Giga library would be more appropriate for this forum\'s users, but I still think you can do a heck of a lot simply by using Acid to set up your feel and then rendering it to wavs for use in Giga.

We actually did most of the work last year, but have been sidetracked by our \'real jobs\'.

I can\'t say much more about it because distribution isn\'t finalised. Hopefully it won\'t be too long before I can give you some substantive info.

Hi Chadwick,

While your project sounds interesting, I don\'t like being limited to slicing and dicing or using pre-rendered rythm tracks. I think I would rather go with Virtual Guitarist than an Acid formatted loop library? But still, when you get closer to releasing something please provide more details. What immediately comes to mind is how flexable would the library be? I\'ve never used Acid before, could you somehow play the strums \"live\" on the keyboard to get an impulsive groove going?

Again, acoustically it\'s already been done. We just need electric guitar versions. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey Munsie,

\"I don\'t like being limited to slicing and dicing or using pre-rendered rhythm tracks\"

Me too. It\'s just that, for the Acid crowd, this offers more flexibility than \'riff\' type libraries.

\"could you somehow play the strums \"live\" on the keyboard to get an impulsive groove going?\"

Nope - it\'s pretty much \'imagine it in your head, then realise it on the Acid grid\', but it is kind of fun to be able to just draw in eight bars of chugging, then play with gapping it and adding different note values to mix it up. It still sounds more realistic than most sample libraries which have only one or two strokes in any particular style.

For \'impulsive\' grooves there\'s no substitute for a deep but easily controlled sample library - apart from a real player [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Just hire a real guitarist, it may be centuries until there is there is the necessary technology to emulate a REAL guitarist. Just too many variables ... each and every attack creates it\'s own unique timbres. From the gauge of the pick, the way the guitaist holds the pick, the control of ringing vs. muting, angles of the pick, the degrees of vibrato ... ALL the guitar types, amps, etc ...... way too many options ..... i have never heard a guitar sample, in or out of context that doesn\'t sound ridiculous! Maybe that is because i have played guitar for 20 years .... bit picky, but seriously, i cannot think of anyway to give it justice.

There are far too many starving guitarist with the right tools and chops .... just call them up! At least 5 great ones in every city.

*shameless plug* available for hire even over the bloody internet :-)

Best Regards,
    Passacaglia

Thats a can of worms being opened, if I\'ve ever seen one.

Yep King, I\'m certainly not going there - voice, sax, clarinet....

So, so true ..... yes, indeed all are difficult ... whith their own intrinsic difficulties ...

for kicks, which would you believe to more difficult to emulate ...

1. Jimi Hendrix \'Star Spangled Banner (@woodstock)/ Juliam Bream playing Albeniz\'s \'Leyenda\'

2. Coltrane playing \'My Favorite Things\' (late RAW coltrane)/ Micheal Brecker Style

3. Woody Herman\'s playing whatever he is known for [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

4. Voice ...... ummm, it wins .. hehehe
    -----
    sorry, i\'ll stop now!

All of those instances would be easy to mock up, if you had the \"right\" samples. Meaning they\'d have to be sampled specific for that performance [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Non of them could be mocked up perfectly with the current crop of samples....and most likely will never

To be fair, you could say that about any instrument. Even a library with many articulations will only ever be a snapshot of the instruments range of expression(s).

Go Back to forum