• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: ProSamples series any good?

Share/Bookmark

ProSamples series any good?

I saw them on www.soundsonline.com.. they\'re $50 per CD. Are these any good? I\'m looking mostly at the choir & orchestral CDs...

Re: ProSamples series any good?

In a word....no. The selection that you get is really minimal and not very useable at all.

From your posts I\'ve gathered that you\'re on a tight budget.

What I would do if I was you is take it a step at a time....don\'t buy a bunch of crappy sounds at once, buy quality sounds a bit at a time, and in a short while you\'ll have a great collection of extremely useable and realistic sounds.

My advice is:

GOS LITE - $300
    SAM Trumpets - Free!!!!
    SAM Horns - $100
    G-Town misc percussion - Free!!!
    SAM Timpani - Free!!!
    Worra\'s stuff - Free!!!!
    Dan Dean Woodwinds - Buy them one at a time for about $150 each....start with flutes, clarinets, and oboes.
    Gigaharp - $100
    Malmsjo Piano - $100
    or
    Xsample Clarinets, oboes and flutes - $120 each.

Those are the best quality sounds in that price range. When you get some more cash and you\'re into it more, consider adding the London Orchestral Percussion, GOS full, Dan Dean Brass Ensembles, and either Symphony of Voices or VOTA.

I have spoken!

midphase,

Thanks, you\'ve been really helpful! Would you recommend the Dan Dean winds over the Xsample ones?

Also, where can I find Worra\'s samples?

Thanks!

XSample sounds good and for $135 you get Bassoon, Contrabassoon, Oboe and English Horn.

I don\'t have Dan\'s woods but he\'s a great guy and I would highly reccomend contacting him. People speak very highly of his collection and if I would have known him earlier I would have probably given him my business.

Perhaps a combination of the two libraries would be a good solution!

Worra\'s place is www.worrasplace.com

combining DD and Xsample seems to be a great thing for users. Especially if you\'re planning on building your own ensembles.

I have it on good word that Dan is doing some updating to the woodwinds and brass, I\'ll probably have a small hand in some of the programming when I can bring myself to sitting in front of the editor again.

BTW, I\'d personally stay away from the ProSamples if you\'re planning on expanding later. Dont pick up any \"lite\" versions of libraries unless there is an upgrade path to the full version.

EastWest said somewhere on their that they\'ll give credit toward the full library later, tho they did NOT say how much credit, or how much later, and I assume you have to have purchased directly through the site. Any comment or clarification, Doug?

Actually, given the nature of the sample demo/MP3 artifact/etc. decision process, I find the ProSamples a good way to see if you want the full library, though almost NONE of the series gives you enough of any one library to be truly useful. It\'s primarily a tool to make you want more (Doug, you ought to just give \'em away-\'first one\'s free...\')

Dasher

AHA!

Then they are worth it [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

and for a hundred bucks or so I would definitely add the DD Solo Strings. I got them free with the GS promotion, but after hearing them I would have bought them anyway.

Larry

AHA!

Then they are worth it
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Until somebody comes up with a way to offer time-limited full demo versions of the full disks, yes. The problem is, you never know in advance what is going to actually be useful (of course this is true in the high-priced libs as well...) and what just feels like a teaser, leaving you wanting more...

I understand there are some \"Loopstations\"? in some major areas (Sam Ash says they have 4) that let you audition some disks before purchase, but they don\'t have any at GC in Sunnyvale, and certainly not at Music Unlimited n Monterey... [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

You pays yer money and you takes yer chances...

Dasher

Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    EastWest said somewhere on their that they\'ll give credit toward the full library later, tho they did NOT say how much credit, or how much later, and I assume you have to have purchased directly through the site. Any comment or clarification, Doug?

Actually, given the nature of the sample demo/MP3 artifact/etc. decision process, I find the ProSamples a good way to see if you want the full library, though almost NONE of the series gives you enough of any one library to be truly useful. It\'s primarily a tool to make you want more (Doug, you ought to just give \'em away-\'first one\'s free...\')

Dasher
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Dasher,

You can upgrade any ProSamples volume to the full version by calling EASTWEST at 1-800-833-8339 regardless of where you purchased it. You get a $25 credit towards the full version, which, with a street price of only $39-$49 is very generous - and - you get to keep the ProSamples version, which is useful due to the number of included formats.

What you get with each ProSamples volume is approximately half of the full audio version (for half of the price) but you get the sounds in up to 7 formats (Giga is not included, but Akai S1000 is). The quality is high, having come mainly from award-winning libraries, but the series is not aimed at sophisticated Giga users that need multiple everything - it is aimed at the consumer market, or those on a budget.

Btw, if you go to www.prosamples.com, you can download the ProSamples Library Wizard (both Mac and PC) which enables you to view all of the contents of each volume, and search for a specific type of sample - it\'s very useful.

Doug Rogers
    EASTWEST

Go Back to forum