• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Please recommend good woodwinds & brass libraries

Share/Bookmark

Please recommend good woodwinds & brass libraries

I plan on getting GOS Lite soon. I\'ll need good woodwind & brass libraries to complement GOS. Recommendations, anyone? And maybe a good percussion library too..

Thanks!

Re: Please recommend good woodwinds & brass libraries

DDBE, LOP, DDSW. Hahahah, I bet you don\'t know those abbreviations mean! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

You\'re right, I don\'t! But I\'ll guess

DDBE = Dan Dean\'s.... ?
    LOP = London Orchestra Percussion
    DDSW = Dan Dean\'s Solo Woodwinds

Just guessing.. saw some of these products on this web site

DDBE = Dan Dean Brass Ensembles

It\'s really tough to say which you should go for.

Dan ( www.dandeanpro.com ) has solo winds (DDSW, never used them), solo brass (DDSB, not my favorite, but many like them) and brass ensembles (DDBE, apparently fantastic, though I\'ve heard some complaints about the trumpets... probably just because they\'re early demos), but you\'d be out of luck if you needed wind ensembles.

There are always the larger, collection libraries out there (AO, Miroslav), but you might end up paying for things you don\'t need.

And that\'s another thing... what\'s your limit on expense? If you\'re low on cash, you could buy SAM Horns ($99 for pre-order at www.projectsam.com , includes the solo horn), as well as the free SAM trumpets.

And though it\'s showing its age in the orchestral category, Quantum Leap Brass is something I still use VERY often. A little tweaking makes this library last even longer than it already has.

Dan Dean Brass Ensembles are fantastic. They have the POWER we have all been waiting for, especially in the FFF range which has been VERY lacking in the past.

SAM Horns sound incredible too, but I don\'t have the library yet: the demos sound totally awesome.

Thanks for the great responses!

True, I\'m on a tight budget [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It\'s enough of an effort for me to get GigaStudio 96. The SAM Horns I\'ll definitely have to get.. it\'s such a great buy.

I dunno about LOP & DDSW. It\'s $830 for both of those together! Shouldn\'t I just grab AO for $1000 and get the winds, percussion, & brass I need? Or are the sounds not too impressive?

Personaly, I still love and use AO woodwinds but I also use woodwinds from the Xsample collection, and for solo woods these are great.
    But for brass ,if you can, get the DDBE, there\'s simply no alternative and it sounds soooo good.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Alex

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by MDesigner:
    Thanks for the great responses!

True, I\'m on a tight budget [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] It\'s enough of an effort for me to get GigaStudio 96. The SAM Horns I\'ll definitely have to get.. it\'s such a great buy.

I dunno about LOP & DDSW. It\'s $830 for both of those together! Shouldn\'t I just grab AO for $1000 and get the winds, percussion, & brass I need? Or are the sounds not too impressive?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">AO is not a bad library. It depends upon your upcoming jobs, and what sort of work you\'ll be doing. It is good for acquiring an overall collection of orchestral instruments, which can be supplemented as money permits. I\'d characterize AO as very wide, and not too deep. On the other hand, it has a lot of phrase and FX type material that proves valuable to me constantly.

It\'s all about what kind of work you\'re doing, what your budgets are, and what your goals are in this.

Anyone who\'s complaining about the trumpets in DDBE is nuts, by the way. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

My advice is to look at your business plan, figure out what you\'ll need to be competitive in your market, and work backwards from there. Or if you\'re approaching this from a hobbyist standpoint, then you\'ll just want to prioritize whether it\'s more important to you to begin working with a full orchestral spread, or whether you might prefer having a more limited but deeper palette of sounds.

Well, basically I\'m a hobbyist right now.. who\'s trying to make a reputation so I can get hired [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I would eventually like to do soundtracks for games. I\'m working on one right now (www.jorsm.com/~bears) using my Roland XP-80 keyboard.

I guess my current sounds can\'t be too bad, I get a lot of compliments & people asking what equipment I use. I suppose they wouldn\'t ask if the sounds sounded like crap. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So maybe upgrading my winds & brass isn\'t too important. But my current strings ARE terrible, and will be replaced by GOS Lite. And I use horns a lot, so I\'ll shell out the $99 for SAM Horns--how could I not? It\'s an awesome deal! And they sound amazing.

Maybe once I get some paying projects, then I\'ll use the profits to get some better sounds. Voices of the Apocalypse for instance. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks, everyone, for your input

Sam

You should get Symphony Of Voices from Spectrasonics, great library. Its all over film scores!!

Go Back to forum