• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: real instruments & samples

Share/Bookmark

real instruments & samples

O.k. I\'ve got to admit that I don\'T really know too much about just how a sample should sound like to sound real. Is there a place where I can listen to real instrument examples to be able to compare it to sample/virtual \"instruments\" in order to become able to evaluate just how close they come?
    thankx
    Harry

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: real instruments & samples

If you mean orchestral instruments, I\'d suggest chamber music concerts for starters, since the smaller ensembles let you hear \"through\" to the individual instruments. CDs are really good, of course, but hearing and seeing the players live is much more revealing, since you can actually see how the instruments are being manipulated to get the resulting sound.

Thankx Bruce. Do you have a certain performance in mind I should definitely get my hands on?
    Thankx in advance
    Harry

Listen to as much as possible. Anything related to what you\'re trying to learn about is valid.

Listen to \"Peter and the Wolf\" by Tchaikovsky , he wrote it for children in order to make them recognize the sound of each intrument , it´s very cool.

Becareful with chamber music , you migth think it´s boring...so , my advice is - listen to everything related to orquestras , full , chamber , old , modern , soundtracks!!!

Go listen to your local symphony orchestra. You\'ll get a good education, and you will also be supporting the orchestra. That\'s what I did this weekend.

Yesterday I took my trumpet playing son to hear Arturo Sandoval, jazz trumpet virtuoso, playing with his band and the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra. It was totally awesome.

Today I took my wife to hear the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra. They were also totally awesome.

It was a great weekend, and it reinforced the knowledge that samples will NOT replace live music. There is far too much added by the artists. No way could anyone have come close to those two concerts with samples.
    I haven\'t heard anything here that compared, even from the maestros that I think are really great.

-- Martin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by leogardini:
    Becareful with chamber music , you migth think it´s boring...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t know about that. Some of the most amazing music that\'s ever been written was written for smaller ensembles. If you want to learn how to write for strings, the Haydn string quartets are your ticket. The soundtrack to the film \"Waking Life\" is a chamber group, and it\'s really cool.

Chamber music really just refers to the smaller size of the ensemble, not any sort of stylistic confines.

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by leogardini:
    Becareful with chamber music , you migth think it´s boring...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t know about that. Some of the most amazing music that\'s ever been written was written for smaller ensembles. If you want to learn how to write for strings, the Haydn string quartets are your ticket. The soundtrack to the film \"Waking Life\" is a chamber group, and it\'s really cool.

Chamber music really just refers to the smaller size of the ensemble, not any sort of stylistic confines.
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Bruce ,

my own opinion about chamber music is quite diferent of \"boring\" - I love it , but if you already have experience working with people that don´t listen to classical music you are able to understand what I mean - \"starters\" tend to like more romantic and pos-romantic composers , mainly Chopin , Tchaikovsky and sometimes Beethoven and Mozart (classical period). You can not say to a beginner to listen to Schoenberg , Prokofiev or Palestrina etc etc... they won´t like them - the same about chamber music... most of the time they´l like the big tuttis from Snan Lake , Concert no.1 (just examples)!!!

Schubert. 15th String Quartet. Fourth Movement. \'Nuff said.

(I mean my GHAAAAAWD!!!!)

Originally posted by leogardini:
    Listen to \"Peter and the Wolf\" by Tchaikovsky , he wrote it for children in order to make them recognize the sound of each intrument , it´s very cool.

Becareful with chamber music , you migth think it´s boring...so , my advice is - listen to everything related to orquestras , full , chamber , old , modern , soundtracks!!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi
    I think you mean Prokovief

[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum