• Register
  • Help

Topic: Purgatory Creek Piano Test

Share/Bookmark

Purgatory Creek Piano Test

Just for grins, I decided to take my minidisc recorder with me to work this morning, and record the Purgatory Creek piano test file on the Baldwin SD10 grand piano that we have there. It has a Pianodisc 128 Plus player system installed on it, so I just copied the file to a disk and played it. The recording was made on minidisc, using a pair of Audio Technica AT853 microphones into a Denecke AD-20 preamp. The preamp was connected digitally to the minidisc recorder. I recorded a close miked sample (about 8 feet with the mikes pointed towards the open lid), and a distant sample with the mikes about 20 feet away (in a room that is about 40 feet long). I copied the files digitally to my PC, and used the db-L mastering limiter to bring them both up to the same (close) apparent level. Then I encoded them with the Lame encoder at the 256K bitrate (fixed).

This way you can compare a real piano playing the midi with samples.

You can download them at:

http://www.cdsol.com/cdsol/downloads/pianotstclose.mp3

and

http://www.cdsol.com/cdsol/downloads/pianotstfar.mp3

Enjoy!

Anyone that wants to post these (with attribution) on a website as a comparison to your samples, or for whatever reason, feel free.

-- Martin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Purgatory Creek Piano Test

Sounds like the pedaling didn\'t translate...

Bruce,

I don\'t know. I saw the pedal moving [grin].

-- Martin

Bruce,

If you listen closely, you can hear the pedal moving in the close version. The far version sounds more like some of the samples though.

-- Martin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by mschiff:
    Bruce,

If you listen closely, you can hear the pedal moving in the close version. The far version sounds more like some of the samples though.

-- Martin
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, I could hear that the pedal was working, just that somehow the results didn\'t indicate that it had translated that well to the particular hardware. It sounds a little awkward in terms of how the phrases are working out, what I\'d call a bit choppy...no fault of yours, to be sure, just something that I noticed. I was just attributing it to perhaps the different way the original sequence was played on a MIDI keyboard, as opposed to how it probably would have been physically a bit different on a true acoustic piano.

I\'ve noticed that tendency in reverse on acoustic pianos that output MIDI via sensing technology...that the resulting MIDI tracks tend to be a little \"fat\" timing-wise compared with MIDI tracks played on a non-acoustic controller.

Bruce,

Yes, I did notice the choppiness. I also recorded a couple of demo songs that were recorded especially for the Pianodisc interface (from their website), and they sounded much more realistic and less choppy. I can post one if you want to hear the difference.

Interesting how much better (many of) the sampled versions of the test sound. Besides the choppiness, the recordings are much better (this room is very hard and echoey), even though I used a pretty decent signal path. The piano is in semicircular glass alcove that is two stories high, and the room is loaded with glass sculptures and hard surfaces. The recording actually sounded better than I expected it to.

-- Martin

Go Back to forum