• Register
  • Help

Topic: La Havane, latin jazz demo

La Havane, latin jazz demo

Patrick de Caumette did this latin Jazz demo for the PMI Bos 290: La Havane. He wrote a latin jazz tune for us since I do not have anything in that style.
    La Havanne MP3

For this piece he used:
    - acoustic bass: Trilogy
    - percussion: Culture
    - drums: Drumkit from hell and a percussion loop from Afrocuban sample library.

Note how he plays that piano. He uses a midi guitar Roland GR33 to record the piano melody! Great way to get that groove.
    Visit Patricks website for more info on his work.

Re: La Havane, latin jazz demo

I like it, except for the machine-gun roll near the top. Piano sounds quite natural after that, but more legato phrasing (in the post-2 minute section, no pun intended)would improve it somewhat (IMO.)

The drum loops work quite nicely, bass part is OK, but nothing to write home about.

Hi Dasher,

thank you for your comments. Glad you enjoyed the piece.

About the lick in the beginning:
    I wanted to emulate the technique where a piano player hits the same key repetitively alternating left hand and right hand. I\'ve seen it done before, like playing a perc instrument.

I have to agree with you, the bass is pretty neutral in this tune but then, this is meant to be a piano demo....

Thank you Michiel [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

It was a pleasure writing for the Bosendofer 290. A truely inspirational piano... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Muy Bueno, me gusta mucho... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Damn, I like that bass.

Hi Patrick
    I found it an excellent piano demo actually. The context has an extremely lifely feel (altough samples were used) and shows a mellow and bright side of this piano.
    great work!

Gracias Amigo,

you\'re a bass type of guy I see... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum