• Register
  • Help

Topic: Diffricult Organ Music

Share/Bookmark

Diffricult Organ Music

I attended an organ recital this afternoon. I was astounded at what I heard. It was beyond a doubt the best performance I have ever heard!

It was also a learning experience for me. Never again will I have qualms about writing rapid fire, difficult pedal passages, nor will I be much concerned when my music strays from the norm (it usually does). Let the dissonance sound where needed and give the pedals any part they are mechanically capable of. Write as it seems proper and don't worry about the difficulty!

Richard

Re: Diffricult Organ Music

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    I attended an organ recital this afternoon. I was astounded at what I heard. It was beyond a doubt the best performance I have ever heard!

It was also a learning experience for me. Never again will I have qualms about writing rapid fire, difficult pedal passages, nor will I be much concerned when my music strays from the norm (it usually does). Let the dissonance sound where needed and give the pedals any part they are mechanically capable of. Write as it seems proper and don't worry about the difficulty!

Richard
    Just out of curiousity, what were the pieces performed at the concert? Were they anything like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYJ7P2BmzwY

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by skallman View Post
    Just out of curiousity, what were the pieces performed at the concert? Were they anything like this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYJ7P2BmzwY

Steve
    Well, I am not able to use youtube, etc. But here is the program.

Organist, Faythe Freese

Program:

Toccata, Adagio and Fugue in C Major, s.64, J. S. Bach

Premiere Sonate,Op. 42, Alexandre Guilmant

The Freese Collection, Pamela Decker
    Augenmusik
    Lirio e amapalo
    Le Croix de foi

Carillon, Leo Sowerby

To Call My True Love to Dance (California Premiere), Leo Hakim

Theme: Allegro
    Variation 1: Cantabile
    Variation 2: Valse
    Variation 3: Deciso
    Variation 4: Arabesque
    Variation 5: Burletta
    Variation 6: Tango
    Variation 7: Scherzando
    Variation 8: Berceuse
    Variation 9: Finale

There was an encore, but I did not get the name.

I am not a foot tapper, but I found myself tapping my feet to the Bach fugue! and Guillmant sonata!

I am told that all of the music is available on Spotify, etc. It is also available on CD, but I don't know where. I bought one at the recital, and probably will buy the rest when I discover them.

I told her that the next time I hear comments that my music is to dissonant or to difficult or unplayable because of the intricate pedal parts, I would refer the person to her.

Richard

Organ Music. It always steals my heart. Entering a church and when the solemn silence is interrupted by the majestic sounds, that tiny little flute, the thunderous trumpets, I am just lost and sit down, letting the music play with my senses. I can sit there for ages long after it has ended.

Vierné, Widor, Bach, Buxtehude, Bruckner......... and even Janacek, listen to this: (the first part)

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Never again will I have qualms about writing rapid fire, difficult pedal passages, nor will I be much concerned when my music strays from the norm (it usually does). Let the dissonance sound where needed and give the pedals any part they are mechanically capable of. Write as it seems proper and don't worry about the difficulty!

Richard
    Yes, I can accord with that Richard. I recently booked a session with a good organist to check over the organ accompaniment for some choral pieces I'd written. True, this wasn't virtuosic writing - but I was amazed by how perfectly he played and registered it. I was expecting it to take an hour to run through and correct just one piece - but he played my entire portfolio of about a dozen pieces in one session - straight off. I had a few tiny corrections to make but he made very light work of it!

I went to a recital at Truro Cathedral last year and they fixed up a camera and big screen. It was amazing to watch both hands and feet gliding over the keys and pedal boards - as well as operating the swell box, pistons and stops.

Go Back to forum