• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harmonicas..Bigga Gigga or ????

Share/Bookmark

Harmonicas..Bigga Gigga or ????

I need some hot harmonica samples for a country/gospel project coming up. Any suggestions?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Harmonicas..Bigga Gigga or ????

Originally posted by sporter:
    I need some hot harmonica samples for a country/gospel project coming up. Any suggestions?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Danny Lux\'s Harmonica Essentials (I think this is the one you\'re referring to) is an excellent phrase library, and you sure wouldn\'t go wrong with it. It\'s recorded in both the acoustic and the classic bullet mic/guitar amp configuration, and the phrases are extremely well performed...whoever did them is an ace.

Even though it\'s ALL phrases, the selection of tempos and breakout into different physical locations on the keyboard for I, IV, and V related licks makes the library somewhat performable in realtime, and easily tweakable in the sequencer to connect the various pieces. I have actually used it on stage in realtime, and had good results (and some good laughs from musicians in the crowd).

It\'s also extremely usable for scoring projects, and the price point is a bargain considering its overall usefulness and quality. A good tip for using this library is to start with your actual tempo\'s \"samples,\" but to experiment with duple/triple relationships to that tempo for farming licks out of other tempo classes represented, 2 against 3, 3 against 4, etc. Likewise, you can \"abuse\" the stated key centers to leverage many more licks and chords that can help you customize your use even more.

But is there a blues harp sample set with perhaps a few typical phrases but the majority as straight (and bent [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) samples? Licks are cool, but please, mother, I\'d rather do it myself!

Dasher

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by sporter:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Danny Lux\'s Harmonica Essentials (I think this is the one you\'re referring to) is an excellent phrase library, and you sure wouldn\'t go wrong with it. .</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks for the info. It looks like the licks are linked to tempo. Is that a big limitation?

Originally posted by thesoundsmith:
    But is there a blues harp sample set with perhaps a few typical phrases but the majority as straight (and bent [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ) samples? Licks are cool, but please, mother, I\'d rather do it myself!

Dasher
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t know of one personally, but even if it existed, I don\'t know that I\'d want to hear it, haha...

[quote]Originally posted by sporter:
    It looks like the licks are linked to tempo. Is that a big limitation?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No. As I was saying above, I\'ve had really good results with it, and the tempos cover lots of situations and can be \"abused\" well.

Go Back to forum