• Register
  • Help

Topic: Violin MIDI Controller...?

Share/Bookmark

Violin MIDI Controller...?

This was the best I was able to find, anyone else know of a better/less-expensive MIDI violin solution?

http://www.vmd-musikk.com/Sider/63E.asp

http://www.vmd-musikk.com/Sider/47E.asp

Re: Violin MIDI Controller...?

Zeta is the primary maker.

Yeah, those Zeta controllers are nice. They make cello, bass, and probably viola controllers too.

Alan,

Thanks or finding it again - that is the one that I found too. I could remember that it was a four-letter word with a Z in it, but that\'s as far as I got!

I don\'t know if there\'s any others, but from what Nick says you could have a whole string quartet for just the price of a small house!

On further reading of the site, this:

The Strados and Jazz pickup systems support one MIDI channel input per individual string, allowing separate sound settings and parameter preferences to be set for each string independent of the others. As an example, one string could be set to play flute, while another is set for piano and the third is set for trumpet, and so on.

In contrast, the E-Series pickup has a single, mono output and as such will support settings for only one MIDI channel. A front panel switch selects the input for “E-Series” when that pickup system is being used. The “E-Series” setting is also employed in use with the Educator Cello or Educator Uprite bass.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">suggests that you could use the Synthony gadget with one of these:

http://www.vmd-musikk.com/Sider/Rammer/R_zeta%20fioliner_E.htm

fitted with one of these:

http://www.vmd-musikk.com/Sider/Rammer/R_zeta%20pickup_E.htm

and the only difference between this and the full-on \"performer\" system is that you would only have one MIDI channel for the whole lot, rather than a different channel for each string. I can\'t see any reason, for traditional string programming, that you would want a different channel for each string anyway.

The shop section of the site was down when I looked, but presumeably this would be cheaper.

Do keep us posted how you get on - I\'m getting tempted again myself. Maybe time to fish out the Rode and Kreisler studies!

and the only difference between this and the full-on \"performer\" system is that you would only have one MIDI channel for the whole lot, rather than a different channel for each string. I can\'t see any reason, for traditional string programming, that you would want a different channel for each string anyway.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I would guess a better justification (than to enable playing different \'instruments\' with each string) for having a channel for each string is simply to suppport polyphonic tracking.

Depending on how the violin performance is represented in its MIDI guise, it may or may not be necessary to channelize the data for each string, but seperately tracked pickups is a must to track more than 1 note (ie for multiple-stopping).

A monophonic tracking system will basically \"chase its tail\" when subjected to any polyphonic material.

FWIW: For the interested with an experimental inclination and a little spare time, there is at least one other solution that while probably not nearly as successful (or expensive) as the zeta stuff, could prove reasonably useful in a helping articuate pitch and dynamic shaping with a violin (or probably a few other other tenor/soprano monophic instruments ) in a sequencing situation.

It entails using an application like Max/MSP(commercial) or PD (PureData public domain), which are in effect graphically based software programming tools for Control, (MIDI) and Audio.

I don\'t really have the time right now to describe this in more detail, but can provide more info on this thread if anyone is interested .

sorry. Inadvertant double post

Originally posted by spectro:
    I would guess a better justification (than to enable playing different \'instruments\' with each string) for having a channel for each string is simply to suppport polyphonic tracking.

Depending on how the violin performance is represented in its MIDI guise, it may or may not be necessary to channelize the data for each string, but seperately tracked pickups is a must to track more than 1 note (ie for multiple-stopping).

A monophonic tracking system will basically \"chase its tail\" when subjected to any polyphonic material.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Fair point, but polyphony is not nearly as important for a violin controller as it is, say. for a guitar controller, where chords are the bread-and-butter playing technique. The vast majority of string music is played monophonically, and it would be possible to put up with adding the occasional double-stops artificially afterwards, if it meant you could get at least a decent monophonic controller at a realistic price.

FWIW: For the interested with an experimental inclination and a little spare time, there is at least one other solution that while probably not nearly as successful (or expensive) as the zeta stuff, could prove reasonably useful in a helping articuate pitch and dynamic shaping with a violin (or probably a few other other tenor/soprano monophic instruments ) in a sequencing situation.

It entails using an application like Max/MSP(commercial) or PD (PureData public domain), which are in effect graphically based software programming tools for Control, (MIDI) and Audio.

I don\'t really have the time right now to describe this in more detail, but can provide more info on this thread if anyone is interested .
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I\'d be interested.

Go Back to forum