• Register
  • Help

Topic: Programming question - retrigger while sustain held

Share/Bookmark

Programming question - retrigger while sustain held

Hi,
    GSt/GEdit programming may not support this, but is there a way to make GSt retrigger a note even when the sustain pedal is held down? Play C3, hold sustain, hit C3 again and kill the old C3 and get a new C3? (I.e. - never more than one C3.)

Probably not, but I thought I\'d ask the experts.

Thanks,
    Mark

Re: Programming question - retrigger while sustain held

Gigastudio has two functions which may serve you here.

1. Keygroups. In the editor you can assign a note to a keygroup. The \'0\' keygroup is polyphonic, but all other keygroups are monophonic and exclusive. Assign the region to any keygroup other than 0 and you will get the following: \"Play C3, hold sustain, hit C3 again and kill the old C3 and get a new C3? (I.e. - never more than one C3.)\"

2. Masking. Masking is also available via the editor. It saves polyphony by adopting the premise that in general a soft sound\'s decay is \'drowned out\' by the same sound played louder during that decay. I think the guys were primarily thinking of stuff like crash cymbals when they came up with this idea. Basically, if you set a sound to mask when you play a loud hit over the release/decay of a soft hit, the soft voice is muted. Works surprisingly well.

And that stuff\'s been available since Gigastudio came out a few years ago [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: Programming question - retrigger while sustain held

Chadwick,
    Thanks for the response.

Originally posted by Chadwick:
    Gigastudio has two functions which may serve you here.

1. Keygroups. In the editor you can assign a note to a keygroup. The \'0\' keygroup is polyphonic, but all other keygroups are monophonic and exclusive. Assign the region to any keygroup other than 0 and you will get the following: \"Play C3, hold sustain, hit C3 again and kill the old C3 and get a new C3? (I.e. - never more than one C3.)\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So I would then assign each and every key on a piano to it\'s own region and make each region\'s key group non-zero to make this work?

This would work for a piano that has every key individually sampled I suppose, but not for pianos where a sample covers 2 or more keys.

2. Masking. Masking is also available via the editor. It saves polyphony by adopting the premise that in general a soft sound\'s decay is \'drowned out\' by the same sound played louder during that decay. I think the guys were primarily thinking of stuff like crash cymbals when they came up with this idea. Basically, if you set a sound to mask when you play a loud hit over the release/decay of a soft hit, the soft voice is muted. Works surprisingly well.

And that stuff\'s been available since Gigastudio came out a few years ago [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Masking seems like an interesting answer. I\'ll look into that.

Do you happen to know of any gig\'s, maybe from Worra\'s Place or somewhere like that, that would have been set up like this as an example?

Thanks much,
    Mark

Go Back to forum