• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: What reverb units are currently used for orchestral recordings?

Share/Bookmark

What reverb units are currently used for orchestral recordings?

Anyone here with inside information on what reverb units are currently most frequently used in film scoring studios? Are they already using convolution based reverbs or still mainly using the expensive Lexicons? What do we hear in the typical JW, JNH and Shore productions?
    Is the convolution \"revolution\" something that is mainly affecting smaller project studios?

Thanks,

Re: What reverb units are currently used for orchestral recordings?

Good question Peter. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I checked Don Davis\' website and he uses;

Lexicon 300L Digital Effects System w/LARC;
    Lexicon PCM-91 Digital Reverberator.

Bill Brown;

Yamaha SPX-900
    Roland SRV-330
    Sony M7 digital reverb
    Lexicon MPX-1 digital reverb
    Alesis Wedge effects processor

Mark Isham;

Lexicon PCM80 (two of them)
    Lexicon PCM70 (two of them)
    Lexicon Prime Time II
    Lexicon LXP II
    Yamaha SPX90
    Roland SDE-3000

I\'m wondering if some of the bigger composers doing a complete orchestral score are simply capturing the hall ambience?

Hi Scott [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Studios\' like these are examples of what I meant with \"project studio\". I am especially interested in what is used on the big stages where they record the final orchestral tracks. I guess those studios have a lot of gear but it\'s probably up to the chief engineer to pick his favorite reverb boxes.

My question is of course about this:
    if you want to emulate the sound of particular scores, do you necessarily have to use IR\'s from real acoustic spaces, or would a few top notch IR\'s from a Lexicon maybe give an even closer emulation, because that is what our ears are accustomed to?

I went on with some Googling and found this very interesting article on John Williams\' and Shawn Murphy\'s recording of The Patriot (using 5 Lexicon 480\'s for the surround mix).

With regard to the 960, don\'t let the price tag fool you.

I think the 960 is accurate and precise and clean. And, yes, I know a lot of pros that have it. Including me. although I\'m a \"pro\" like a hooker is a \"pro.\"

But, in use, it ends up sounding way TOO clean -- or \"thin\" if you prefer it that way -- and I know a LOT of tv/film guys that prefer the thicker sounds of the PCM 91s and even the M3000s.

You\'ll find a lot of \"record\"/music guys using the 960s, while a lot of soundtrack/scoring guys tend towards the highly colored sounds of the high-end-low-end stuff.

Altough I\'ll use the 960 for drums, I rarely use it for full-on orchestral stuff. It does little to add the \"fullness\" (although it might be artificial) that I think we\'re all used to hearing in recordings.

Screw accuracy. YMMV,

Stew

Great! Thanks, keep them coming [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">But, in use, it ends up sounding way TOO clean -- or \"thin\" if you prefer it that way
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">It is interesting how the 960 hasn\'t caught on like previous Lexicon products. I know George Massenburg really likes the TC Electronics Series 6000.

For legit orchestra recordings, I think engineers and producers would rather capture the sound of a good hall, rather than slather on any electronic substitute.

Lee Blaske
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah,

Which is confirmed by this article on the LOTR scoring at CTS (and other studio\'s, btw, at the same time...)

http://www.cts-lansdowne.co.uk/news/index.asp

John Kurlander also likes to bring his own 480 with him to sessions, I read elsewhere.

I know when I did some recordings at Paramount Stage M, they were using Lexicon stuff. I did not look at the specifics.

In recent trade interviews with scoring mixers, I\'ve seen both the Lexicon 960 and the TC M6000 mentioned repeatedly. Convolution plugins still can\'t compete with those. Interestingly, I haven\'t seen the Sony -S777 hardware convolution reverb unit mentioned anywhere outside its ads.

Originally posted by seanmccoy:
    In recent trade interviews with scoring mixers, I\'ve seen both the Lexicon 960 and the TC M6000 mentioned repeatedly. Convolution plugins still can\'t compete with those.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, for $15,000 and $10,000 respectively, I would HOPE that those units would stomp a $600-700 convolution plugin. Of course, factor in the PC or Mac hardware that you would need to approximate the functionality of the TC or Lexi with software, and the price difference isn\'t quite as ludicrous. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Convolution plugins still can\'t compete with those.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Says who? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum