• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Virtual Instruments - what does the name cover?

Share/Bookmark

Virtual Instruments - what does the name cover?

\"Virtual Instruments\" - we\'re all familiar with this name. But what does the name cover?

How come a Piano sample library is NOT a \"Virtual Instrument\" - whereas the exact same Piano wrapped with a sample player is?

Is the sample library version less \"Virtual\"?

How come a \"native\" Kontakt sample library is less \"Virtual\" than a Kompakt-player version of same library?

Afterall:

1) Kontakt is more expensive than Kompakt as a sampler.

2) Arent the Kontakt/Kompakt players \"cut-down\" versions of the real versions? Meant to be \"apatizers\"

The reason why I ask is because we at SCARBEE has decided NOT to make Sample-player-wrapped versions of our sample libraries. We want to seperate us from the software and only be responsible for our \"sounds\".

But it\'s a real problem that we can not call our instruments for \"Virtual Instruments\".

Who have decided this?

Didn\'t it start as: \"VSTi\" = VST instruments?
    and became \"Virtual Instruments\"?

In Electronic Musician \"Recommended Gear\" they list \"Virtual Instruments\" - but not sample Libraries.So does it mean that we can not promote our sample instruents as \"Virtual Instruments\"?

Please give some comments here. Love to hear if this word is patented and who invented this.

Re: Virtual Instruments - what does the name cover?

I read your post twice, but cannot really understand what you mean, and what kind of answers you are looking for.
    IMO, there are many people who use Gigasampler or Halion, or even Kontakt, and what they need is only compatible sample libraries.
    Most of them, if they think the way I do, would go for a \"virtual instrument\" only if they cannot fill their need in the libraries department.
    We all know that using these N.I players is not totally without problems, and that the most attractive feature is more for the samples designers, who (think they) have a \"built-in\" copy-protection, than for the base-user, who has no choice but doing with this player, good or bad....
    So I do not think that there is any threat for the sample library makers (except maybe piracy)who decides to keep on making libraries, as long as he/she does high quality ones, prices them carefully, and tries to have them available for the major abovementioned samplers.
    So why care about this terminology ? The concept in itself does not look more threatening than any other competition in this field of sound and samples.
    The \"virtual instruments\" may be appealing for people recently come to \"computer music\", and who do not already own a soft sampler.
    Otherwise, who needs them unless they offer something really different ?
    Just my 2 cents anyway.

I don\'t have the answer to your question.

But I wish the term \"virtual instrument\" had been reserved for synthetic, physically modeled, instruments. The instruments in your libraries are as real as it gets.

Carl

Hi sirbellog:

Well it\'s about marketing off course. It is misleading than some sounds can be called Virtual Instruments whereas others can not - dispite the quality and realsm.

The word \"Virtual\" has quality attached to it as it - and that is a problem.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Call your libraries what you want. As far as I know, none of these designations really mean a thing.

Personally, I like soft-synths or soft-samplers as a nomenclature. You can drop any software instrument into one of those two designations, depending upon what the initial \"exciter\" of sound is. If there\'s no stored waveforms, it\'s a synth. If there are stored waverforms, it\'s a sampler, no matter how much synthesis is also included. Very simple...and since every sampler is really a synth anyway, I don\'t see much need to have a third \"hybrid\" designation. All samplers are hybrids to some degree.

Virtual Instrument doesn\'t really mean anything to me...which is probably why the marketing devils like the term. Nice and meaningless.

But I can not call my libraries for VI since online shops and real shops has divided in:

a) Virtual Instruments
    b) Sample Libraries

Don\'t you think that if you simply advertize your libraries as the :
    \"best -here you put the name of the instrument- ever made\",
    with killer demos, nice pictures/cd-dvd covers, etc.. it\'s not sufficient ?
    I repeat what I said : either your library is aimed at soft samplers owners, or not.
    Do you really think that a GS or Halion user will joyfully fill his/her \"C\" drive with new dlls, new secret entries in the register, new competitors for the streaming ?
    For instance, I MAY buy the extended HCB, because it will have a fretless and several picked basses (which I need), at a sensible price.
    But why ? Because the choice in this area is very slim, in part because you never made the fretless and the picked bass that you had planned to do...
    I would like to have more choice in Hal/GS format in order to avoid the \"player\" path!
    One more thing : if GS3 turns out to be stable and keeps its promises, the only fact that it will open its doors to the vst fxs (that many people own and use)and offers rewire can make it a \"virtual instrument\" as well in itself. So its libraries will be too...

why not say \"virtual instrument for\" whatever sampler?

Originally posted by sirbellog:
    For instance, I MAY buy the extended HCB, because it will have a fretless and several picked basses (which I need), at a sensible price.
    But why ? Because the choice in this area is very slim, in part because you never made the fretless and the picked bass that you had planned to do...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">they will come...

Here is a defition from the Encarta dictionary:

generated by computer: simulated by a computer for reasons of economics, convenience, or performance

So it looks that for it to be called virtual, then it also has to be able to generate the sound. Virtual instruments include the player to generate the sound.

Since a sample library can\'t do that by itself, then it can\'t be a virtual instrument. A sample library by itself if you installed on a computer would not generate any sound. It has to have a soft-sampler to play the sound.

Go Back to forum