• Register
  • Help

Topic: Thaw

Share/Bookmark

Thaw

I know I jumped the gun, it is still frozen in Ontario, Canada, but the temperature is climbing slowly and there are signs of easing out of that long and miserable winter.
    In Mexico where I am of course the weather is great, the sky is blue, the sea is beautiful, still, I think about my home in Ontario, how nice it is when the ewes start to drip, icicles have crystal-clear water dripping from them..
    Hence this short piece.

Ted

https://app.box.com/s/afjww0cu41jtg2ewiiw6

Strings Emerald, all the rest GPO4
    Last edited by tedvanya; 03-26-2014 at 05:02 PM. Reason: left off something

Re: Thaw

Gosh you write beautiful, Ted. Without fail - You put up music, I listen, I bliss out and admire.

I can't resist one technical note - The strings have a "crunchy" sound to them, most noticeable in the opening when they are predominant. Hear that? It sounds like the artifact of recording at a lower sample rate and bit depth than is optimum. It's best to record the Master .wav file at a high resolution, since it will hold up better to the compression that happens when you make an MP3 copy. Bit depth for an MP3 is 16, no matter what you do - that's just the way they are. But MP3s can have a sample rate of 48 instead of the supposed "CD quality" setting of 44.1 you've used here. It would help avoid the kind of crunchy, dirty signal I'm hearing on the strings here.

You know me - If there's a tech thing I feel the need to comment on, I go for it.

Back to the music - Aaaaah that really is nice. Thanks for sharing it, Ted.

Randy

Hi Ted,

Indeed, Ted, I join Randy with his admiration. What a pleasant and peaceful little composition. No aggressive dissonance, but a nice slow movement to dream away. Well done! Nice instrumentation too. I've enjoyed every second of it. Just a pity that it is so short... I'm happy to hear a decent melody again.

Max

Max, thanks, you are always kind to me...

Ted

Thanks Randy, and I am revising the piece utilizing you comments.
    The "dirty" string sound is coming from using tremolo from the Emerald. I am trying now with GPO and the tremolo sounds better there. Will re-post it and I hope you'll listen and comment again.
    Thanks

Ted

Pretty melody! Look forward to working with you on the project of your choice.

Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Hello Ted!

I'm glad I caught this before it dropped off the front page! Here in Indiana, we've only had a handful of warm days this year, and now it finally looks as if spring might be here to stay! This is indeed a calm, but cheery piece. It certainly reminds me of the fresh smells that arrive with the melting of the last heavy snow.

I enjoyed listening to this, thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

A very nice composition indeed, Ted!

Yes, I can hear the thawing of the icicles and the melting of the lake, wonderful put into music!

Hello Ted,

I enjoyed your Thaw. Spring is such a wonderful time of renewal and hope and your music expresses this for me.

The Seattle area has had record breaking rainfall since February so I'm looking forward to the few nice days coming up shortly here.

Phil

Go Back to forum