• Register
  • Help

Topic: --> Another Votox Demo

Share/Bookmark

--> Another Votox Demo

I just want to share another Votox song I\'m working on (i.e. using Voices of the Apocalypse in combination with Nuno\'s awesome utility).

I\'m experimenting with playing single-line melodies with the female choir. This is definitely harder to make sound convincing than playing chords. Nevertheless, I\'m getting some pretty cool results with a solo voice. Lots of reverb helps. I swear I get chills up my spine hearing my computer sing legato phrases like this.

For these solo parts, I\'m playing the non-vib female choir (i.e. mod-wheel at 0) and actually adding a tiny amount of vibrato myself with the pitch wheel. Though a subtle effect, this helps give it life. The fuller-sounding legato parts have both the non-vib and vib female choirs layered, giving a stronger group unison sound.

Another thing I played with is staccato chords with the male and female choirs. Adds a nice counterpoint to the legato parts. That was fun!

Anyway, comments are welcome, as are other ideas for using Vota, etc.

http://www.BrainFeverMusic.com/Angeli_Digitali__BrainFeverMusic.mp3

Enjoy [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Re: --> Another Votox Demo

well, music sounds good. But in your example I\'m still not convinced how well the utility works because I can\'t really tell what the choir is saying. Shouldn\'t the utility not only help make words but help make them intelligle?

Maybe I\'m missing the point of the utility. [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

anyway, nice job with the composition [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Are you using Spectrsonics new rhythm vst?

Originally posted by Marty:
    well, music sounds good. But in your example I\'m still not convinced how well the utility works because I can\'t really tell what the choir is saying. Shouldn\'t the utility not only help make words but help make them intelligle?

Maybe I\'m missing the point of the utility.

anyway, nice job with the composition

Are you using Spectrsonics new rhythm vst?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks!
    I\'m really not even using the utility to try to say anything intelligible, but just to create phrases that sound musically interesting. In general, I can\'t understand any words in things like movie trailers that use real choirs.

Nevertheless, I have tried saying specific things, and I don\'t get very intellible results. So I just string together a series of syllables that sound good, and then \"play\" them with my keyboard through the utility. Something that would take tons of midi-editing without the utility, just to create these phrases. Now I can concentrate on the composition.

Don\'t have Stylus yet. Mostly BT beats and occasional Metamorphosis.

Was people can imagine, making a computer singing intelegible words is very dificult.

The big goal of the this utility, was to save time to the users (and believe me that saves a lot).

But i haven´t giveup [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I working on a new version, wait and you will see...

Nuno has done a great job of saving us tons of time to make these \'words\', even if most are for effect. Where it might be more convincing would be \'picking\' from a votox dictionary of sorts. As many of you have found out - there are many ways to form \'words.\' It would be nifty if a \' votox dictionary\' was on a pull down listing. Obviously, having the English language in a pull-down is not practical, but a listing of 100-200 of the most used words would be. Then if there is something you want that is not on the list, you could use some that are close to guide you to create the word of choice.

Nuno, I want to thank you everyday for creating this utility.

Rob

I thoroughly enjoyed the piece; the staccato
    voice chords are particularly effective. Understandability is not of grave importance in creating musical drama, in my opinion. One of my favorite choral pieces is \"Carmina Burana\" and I don\'t understand a bit of it (Latin?). I\'ll grant you, there is a difference between understandability and intelligibility. Seems best if the vocalizations are well articulated, if still incomprehensible.

Carl

Go Back to forum