• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GTown, SI and other things...

Share/Bookmark

GTown, SI and other things...

Hello everyone, I\'m new to the forum and wanted first and foremost to extend great thanks to G-Town for making their terrific samples available. Also great thanks to Project SAM for their incredible samples.

I also wanted to chime in on the Sonic Implants versus Garritan discussion. My opinion definitely favors the Sonic Implants due to it\'s more realistic tone and response. Although the Garritan has some useful patches, particularly the short bowings and effects, the majority of the library does not fulfill expectations. The Sonic Implants as a whole offers more playable, better responding, fuller sounding and very realistic string sounds. Hats off to Sonic Implants.

KC

Re: GTown, SI and other things...

I respectfully will disagree. Welcome to the forum by the way.

I think both libraries have their strenghts, but to say that GOS has \"some\" useful patches is equivalent to saying that Ferrari has some useful cars.

I believe 99% of the sounds on GOS are quite useful and extremely realistic. I also believe that String sounds in general tend to be a bit of a personal choice, much like food.

My opinion is that some people will prefer GOS and other SI, but both libraries are exceptional workhorses!

It\'s very hard to judge GOS until you start using it on your own. Once you start messing around with the grande sustains.... (*shiver*) Life is good.

Well KC, are you a registered owner of GOS? I\'d like to know whether or not the source of your comments is dissatisfaction as a registered user vs. someone who used them at a friend\'s place and as such, is basing his comments on a limited use experience.

KC, I\'ll have to disagree with your assessment of GOS from experience. GOS does take some time to learn how to use effectively. I understand the feeling \"out of the box\" as I recall my first GOS session. It was a little disappointing. However, it was MY problem, not GOS.

After working with it for about a month now, I couldn\'t be happier with this library. I\'m still learning and improving the sound I get. Realism is very achievable, and the sonic colors in combination offer a nice pallette. The expressive sordino patches are to die for. And they mix well in context.

Also, it is a great experience to deal with people like Gary. I\'m sure that the Garritan Libraries will be supplying the sampling musician with gems for a long, long time.

Not so sure about Sonic Implants and the future. Sample libraries are an investment.

Originally posted by Runyon:
    Not so sure about Sonic Implants and the future. Sample libraries are an investment.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">They\'ve been around for a LONG time, my friend..

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Runyon:

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">In that regard, I\'d have to wager you\'re in good hands either way. If you do a little background checking, you\'ll find that Jennifer Hruska is definitely no flash in the pan...she\'s been doing great work for quite a while and SI is a company with a nicely diversified income stream.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Ed Lima:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Runyon:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">They\'ve been around for a LONG time, my friend..</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Too funny, Ed. Guess we saw that one about simultaneously, haha.

GOS is incredible, but the only problem that I really have is my ONE giga machine to run my entire compositions. The only thing that stinks about GOS are the large gig files + polyphony issues. *sighhhh* I wish I had mucho dinero so I can truly take advantage of the incredible versatility of the library. Sorry sorry, I\'m just ranting. =) Perhaps there are some sponsors out there? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Coke.......

Pepsi.......

Let the guy favor whichever one he wants. This is going to turn into one of those freaking MAC vs PC things, and it really shouldn\'t be.

I can agree with some of his assesments of SI. They are very playable and responsive, as well as extremely dynamic. I dont think I \"fovor\" them over GOS, but I do favor some patches and do choose them over GOS when I need a particular sound, same goes for GOS.

Both are fantastic libraries.

Go Back to forum