• Register
  • Help

Topic: Linux Keyboard/workstation plays gig files!?

Share/Bookmark

Linux Keyboard/workstation plays gig files!?

Did anyone see this?

http://news.harmony-central.com/Newp/2004/Mediastation-X-76.html

Interesting...

Crispin

Re: Linux Keyboard/workstation plays gig files!?

I got to see this at NAMM. They had an embedded color display for sequencer information on the keyboard unit, and a separate monitor mounted to the side that displayed video for sync/scoring. It was very nice.

One of the developers also put LinuxSampler on this beast and ran a piano piece from the Well-Tempered Clavier and ran up well oever 60 streamed notes with less than a 5% CPU hit. Yikes.

I believe that professional audio will go the way of many video and animation workstations, where Linux is used as a base OS. I know that Sony\'s animation group switched from Silicon Graphics machines to PCs running Maya on Linux. I think that\'s definitely the future of audio.

Originally posted by Houston Haynes:
    I believe that professional audio will go the way of many video and animation workstations, where Linux is used as a base OS. I know that Sony\'s animation group switched from Silicon Graphics machines to PCs running Maya on Linux. I think that\'s definitely the future of audio.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">So they switched from one type of Unix to another... how exactly are you drawing conclusions from this? Animation programs have always been in the Unix world, how does this apply to Audio software?

UNIX-SCHMOONIX... OSX claims that vintage as well. It goes back to Total Cost of Ownership - as it always does.

Originally posted by Sharmy:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">UNIX-SCHMOONIX
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Houston...you should really work on your Yiddish. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] You\'re absolutely right.

As far as TCO is concerned, I think the workstation listed above is in the $5-7,000 range. That makes it difficult for me to see it finding a market in the U.S. But who knows? I\'ve been wrong before.

I believe that professional audio will go the way of many video and animation workstations, where Linux is used as a base OS.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Actually, I think that the music tech industry has already been dangerously close to something very similar to this in 2000. Does anyone remember? :-)

Originally posted by Steven Kruyswijk:
    Actually, I think that the music tech industry has already been dangerously close to something very similar to this in 2000. Does anyone remember? :-)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You mean there\'s not gonna be GigaStudio for BeOS?? no wait, it\'s the Amiga PPC right?!

Go Back to forum