• Register
  • Help

Topic: THE VOTES ARE IN! Results of Challenge #29

Share/Bookmark

THE VOTES ARE IN! Results of Challenge #29

Thank you to all 28 people that voted. All in all, I believe our first reborn challenge has been a success, and enjoyed by all that took part.

Click here to view the full results:
    http://www.jinglecues.com/challenge29.html

We have a three-way tie! The following entrants all come in first place, with 8 votes each:

• Entry 4 by Composing at Night
    • Entry 3 by RichR
    • Entry 5 by tedvanya

Since there are three prizes and three winners, here's what I'd like to do: PM me with your preferences for which prize you'd like. Most helpful would be to state your first, second and third choices. Then I will try to give each of you what you want.

The prizes are as follows:

• A free copy of Olympus Micro Choir.
    • A free copy of Randy Bowser's excellent auto harp instrument for Aria.
    • An hour or two of my time to help with a project of your choice - recording a live piano part, rendering, compositional assistance - anything you'd like!

Now, all those who submitted entries: Use this thread to tell us about how you did it. Any hints you'd like to share?

Thanks again everyone for your enthusiastic response to this challenge. Perhaps in a few weeks time we can launch another - if anyone wants to suggest a challenge to set.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: THE VOTES ARE IN! Results of Challenge #29

WOW !!

Thank you for all the work and attentiveness you have used in preparing, developing and hosting of this challenge. And to all those who to time to write and entered a piece, "Great job"!!! This was fun and the material given to us by englishgent was so much fun to work with. I chuckled every time I listened to his narrative. How did you keep a straight face and control of your voice when you recorded the announcement for this commercial ad? What fun!!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    WOW !!

Thank you for all the work and attentiveness you have used in preparing, developing and hosting of this challenge. And to all those who to time to write and entered a piece, "Great job"!!! This was fun and the material given to us by englishgent was so much fun to work with. I chuckled every time I listened to his narrative. How did you keep a straight face and control of your voice when you recorded the announcement for this commercial ad? What fun!!

Congrats to the Winners, esp a certain one that is my brother!

I placed a miserable 7th or something like that!

Had a great time with this. Hope someone steps up to do another one! (The winners?)

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Ta Da! - THANK YOU OWEN for putting together the grand finale of the event. Excellent job.

Big congrats to you three folks tied at first place--wow! A 3-way tie has to be a first in the history of the Garritan Challenge. Really fun work, Rodney, Rich and Ted - BIG CONGRATS!

I hope a thread gets started with people talking a bit how they approached the work on their entry. I always like reading those.

And, Owen - Bill posted a good point in his reply this morning. In the past, the winner carried the torch, putting together what the next challenge would be based on. We used to post short musical motifs as starting points for an arrangement - We're doing the "client scenario" concept now, and I think that's a roaring success.

But maybe one of these 3 winners could volunteer to come up with a brief scenario, the way you did for this round - and then he could get the scenario to you, and you would still post the starting thread since you have all the machinery in place for the contest. Could we maybe try that?--and starting whenever the scenario writer has come up with something?

This really has been fun, sure brightened up the Forum. Thanks again to Owen and everyone who produced entries and everyone who voted!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    ...maybe one of these 3 winners could volunteer to come up with a brief scenario, the way you did for this round - and then he could get the scenario to you, and you would still post the starting thread since you have all the machinery in place for the contest. Could we maybe try that?--and starting whenever the scenario writer has come up with something?
    That is exactly what I had envisioned. As soon as someone suggests an idea, I will be happy to launch #30.

Hey, Owen - The only thing missing from the way these used to be done, is to have the entry MP3s still available on a web page. On your site you have the winners, but I don't think the MP3s can still be heard? It would be helpful to refresh our memories about each piece, and for people who didn't take part to catch up by hearing the results.

And I just now realized you asked for this thread to be the same one for posting notes about how the projects were put together. At this point, we've started a separate thread for that, and I think that's OK. I'll be adding to that later on today.

Randy

Hey, Owen - The only thing missing from the way these used to be done, is to have the entry MP3s still available on a web page. On your site you have the winners, but I don't think the MP3s can still be heard? It would be helpful to refresh our memories about each piece, and for people who didn't take part to catch up by hearing the results.

And I just now realized you asked for this thread to be the same one for posting notes about how the projects were put together. At this point, we've started a separate thread for that, and I think that's OK. I'll be adding to that later on today.

Randy
    Wonderful suggestion, IMHO Randy.

Thanks for letting me know that they had disappeared. They were there, but when I updated something else on my website, my silly web design program messed the player up. I finally managed to get it fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by englishgent View Post
    Thanks for letting me know that they had disappeared. They were there, but when I updated something else on my website, my silly web design program messed the player up. I finally managed to get it fixed.
    Cool - glad they're up again. Thanks, Owen!

EDIT: I had a look at the page - Your banner and background have disappeared now Owen- !

Randy

GRRR! It's driving me MADDDD!

Go Back to forum