• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Spectrasonics Virtual Instruments -- Eric?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Spectrasonics Virtual Instruments -- Eric?

Actually one thing I\'d like to see is, an \"open source wave pool\" or the ability to add your own waves to the VSTi\'s. Letting us end users add particular sounds/styles to the VSTi\'s

I dont have Stylus, but I\'ve asked around if its possible to \"tweak\" the wave forms. Maybe there is an option to add your own waveforms tho. I dunno.

This could open up room for \"updates\" and even more flexibility for end users.

I know this is a giga forum guys. Maybe this should be moved to the software forum? I dont want to piss off any readers.

Well, I hope the discussions continue here about any kind of virtual instruments. We can certainly gain some insights from a guy that\'s been immersed in sampling technology for twenty some-odd years.

There\'s still untapped potential in Giga, and blue-sky pipe dreams are the stuff that gets on the wish list and maybe becomes a reality in the next build.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Oops! You\'re right King. [img]images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Sorry guys, just let the excitement of the possibilities go to my head. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

\"Well, I hope the discussions continue here about any kind of virtual instruments.\"

Well, this is a Gigasampler/Studio forum. It would be nice if the products being discussed could at least be converted to run on GS. But in this case, it seems it\'s getting alot of GS users interested about something that is not compatible with GS. I was very interested in this stuff until I finally realized this has nothing whatsoever to do with GigaStudio.

Originally posted by aplanchard:
    Eric,

Based on the outstanding quality of your prior work, certainly the upcoming Atmosphere and hopefully Trilogy will be must haves for two sound categories -- synth pads and bass sounds (synth, electric and acoustic?). Why then is Stylus based primarly on style rather than covering all the bases for a sound category (drums) we all use as composers/producers?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Every instrument will be focused on genre. Stylus is NOT a style based product. People are using it for many different styles of music. But the core library of sounds is focused on the Breakbeat/Hip-Hop/Dance type of drum and percussion sounds.

Actually, a lot of people are using it just for the percussion....which is awesome. The instrument is so flexible that it can be used in a extremely wide range of genres. 38,000 samples and Groove Control give you endless options for creating what *you* want to do.....the loops are only one small aspect of it.

We have lots of instruments in the works.....you\'ll see ;-)

spectrum

Originally posted by Munsie:
    \"Well, I hope the discussions continue here about any kind of virtual instruments.\"

Well, this is a Gigasampler/Studio forum. It would be nice if the products being discussed could at least be converted to run on GS. But in this case, it seems it\'s getting alot of GS users interested about something that is not compatible with GS. I was very interested in this stuff until I finally realized this has nothing whatsoever to do with GigaStudio.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Now you know why I never posted here!
    [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

All I did was compliment Damon on his demo song. The rest has been answering questions. I agree that it has little to do with GIGA so we\'ll see you all later!

(besides....gotta finish Atmosphere!)

bye....

spectrum

King Idiot wrote:
    I dont have Stylus, but I\'ve asked around if its possible to \"tweak\" the wave forms. Maybe there is an option to add your own waveforms tho. I dunno.

Don\'t know if this answers your question but all the rather cool sounding Stylus samples live in a giant 3Gb .DAT file and you can\'t import your own.

However, if you use the Groove Control versions of the Stylus loops you can easily extract all the MIDI notes that trigger the kick drum sample for example, paste them into another track and use your own kick drum from another source or even one of the hundreds of other kick drums that come with Stylus! It is a very cool and flexible way of working with loops and there are many other advantages like adding/removing swing to a loop, matching quantize data with other tracks, editing/reprogramming the groove etc. I realize this isn\'t the same as importing your own samples into the Stylus engine but I\'ve yet to feel the need to do so.

Don\'t forget, each indivdual hit in a loop has it\'s own \"synth\" engine in effect, you can filter it, envelope it, change it\'s pitch, level and panning independently so there is a lot of scope for mangling. You can also do this in real time with MIDI controllers.

I don\'t see Stylus as a sample play back device, more, the ultimate loop manipulator for control freaks!!!

Dave Marsden
    http://www.gameaudio.com
    UK

Eric,

It\'s not my call, but I\'d certainly like you to keep posting on your stuff here. I don\'t visit many sites and while obviously you\'re not \'talking giga\' I\'m sure I speak for many when I say that my interest is certainly aroused (there I go talking dirty again).

Also, the interchange could lead to developments in giga or your own stuff as a result (who knows?).

I hope you don\'t stop posting just because your not talking about giga. (Your \'bye\'sounded a bit \'final\').

Eric, if you\'re reading this - I second Z6\'s comments. Any interaction you make possible here should be useful for you, us and the Giga guys. I hope you continue illuminating our lives. Right now, it\'s the most interesting part of the forum for me.

I agree with the pesky fly.

Go Back to forum