• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Spectrasonics and the Giga format

Share/Bookmark

Spectrasonics and the Giga format

Why is it that Metamorphosis is the only Spectrasonics library to have a native giga formatted cd. I want more!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Eric, please release some of your other cds on gig format PLEASE...

Ed

Re: Spectrasonics and the Giga format

Hi Ed,

Sorry, Metmorphosis is it for GIGA format and Spectrasonics. Because of all the limitations, we won\'t be supporting GIGA (or any other sampler formats) with our future products. We can do much more interesting and higher quality products by designing our own software engine and interface for each product. We are too busy with the development of all the new virtual instruments to convert any of our previous libraries to any formats that they don\'t exist in now. When you try one of our new instruments, you\'ll see why.

(See my answer on the \"To Eric Persing\" thread for more on the reasons why we\'ve made this move.)

All the best,

spectrum

Why would anyone who wants to put out the best they can want to put out what they consider inferior product?

I also dont think the CD versions of the VSTi\'s would be a \"lite version\"

Most people who do \"lite\" versions of libraries do it fcor a price break. I dont see any sort of price break that would happen between the VSTi\'s that spectrasonics is putting out, and any possible CD\'s they\'d make (from past history of prices)

Dont get me wrong, I see the point of having \"choices\" in most simpilar aspects, however, I dont consider the products he\'s putting out now part of the \"sampler\" formats, so releasign CD\'s is actually different product, not different format.

I also think that Eric\'s not the one shooting himself in the foot. More like users who are unwilling to TRY the new stuff. It would be the same as users who were in favor of hardware samplers over giga for orchestral music because they hated software.....

Anyway to each their own, Eric you may lose some customers, but in the end the advancements you and other developers make will have some users \"convert\" and in the end we\'ll hear more \"where did that sound/groove/thing\" come from when people post music and they are used in TV, and guess what we\'ll have to answer with. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

just the same I\'m doing right now with answering \"Gigasampler\" or \"GOS\" or SIString\" or \"VotA\".

King, I am not sure you\'re understanding my point.

Let\'s say that Ilio/Spectrasonics\'s new release....let\'s call it World Winds...is only available as a Virtual Instrument with plug-ins as VST, MAS, RTAS and TDM.

I have Digital Performer, and even though there is a MAS version, I would much prefer to have access to the individual sounds myself and tweak them to my exact specs. I don\'t think that the new instruments that Eric is proposing will allow me to do that. Perhaps I like the sound of the time compressor/expander in Kontakt better than the algorhitm that Eric\'s VI is using....perhaps there is a xfading/keyswitching/younameit function that the Spectrasonic VI\'s just don\'t support.

If I understand the technology correctly, instruments like Stylus don\'t allow the type of tweaking that you and I are used to.

So now what do I do? I am surprised that a tweaker like yourself is not at all concerned about this non-tweaking technology.

BTW, this is not a discussion about soft VI vs. hardware stuff....you certainly don\'t have to sell me on that! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

AHA

then we sort of agree.

I do want the soft isntrument\'s wave pool to be a bit more open source.

actually I just posted about this in the other topic about Spectrasonic\'s stuff.

I still think it would be easy to resample from the VST and put it into Kontakt myself tho [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I actually think that with the stuff that spectrasonics is offering, we can do all kinds of new tweaks, if we need to go back ot our old ones, It should be quite easy to do so, with a littl ebit of work [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

The thing that I\'m wondering is this.
    Right now I don\'t have a problem with loading let\'s say 10 drum kits that I need for the song plus bunch of other samples in Gigastudio..
    Will I be able to run let\'s say Stylus and Gigastudio together without any problems?
    Because it sounds great I love the concept of it, but does it mean geting another computer for future high quality virtual instruments?
    Oh, and I was wondering, as far as I understand when you get Stylus you\'re not able to let\'s say take the single wav\'s that you like and make gig file out of it, right?
    oh and I can\'t wait to hear Atmosphere..that one looks really exciting... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Alex

Hi Midiphase,

My apologies if my enthusiasm comes off as arrogance....that\'s not where I\'m coming from at all. I\'m just excited about this new direction and the possibilities it offers.

The truth is that all our instruments offer much more tweaking than is currently available with most samplers. If you want to tweak at the sample level, that\'s really not hard to do. You just render the file you want to work with to audio and then start working....really simple. (We even explain how to do this for Digital Performer in the manual)

You could transfer stuff into Giga, but it would take some time.....but the possibility is certainly not taken away. The reality is that it would be very unlikely that you would need to do this very often, and when you did...then it is doable. Is a Korg Triton or Roland synth thought of in this way?

What we are doing is in no means a replacement for samplers and sample libraries....I\'m a firm believer in the sampler concept. It\'s just that what we want to do now goes significantly further than what is currently available with any samplers architecture. Also, by having ownership in the technology side, we can improve and expand the capabilities of these instruments over time in ways that are impossible with sample libraries. There\'s only so much that you can do only on the audio side.

There\'s really no one left out by what we are doing. We have dramatically increased our customers and the musicians around the world that can use the products.

Also, I\'d like to clarify that Spectrasonics and ILIO are -and always have been- two completely different companies. The statements I\'ve made regarding our \"virtual instrument only\" policy apply soley to Spectrasonics products.

ILIO is the exclusive distributor of Spectrasonics products in North America, handling sales and marketing. Spectrasonics develops and manufactures our products completely independant from ILIO. Spectrasonics also has different distributors outside N. America.

I realize it can be a bit confusing, since ILIO is also a sample library developer as well. So Spectrasonics have had nothing to do with the World Winds library for example (sounds good though!)

Hope that offers some more clarification.

Best,

spectrum

Originally posted by lex:
    The thing that I\'m wondering is this.
    Right now I don\'t have a problem with loading let\'s say 10 drum kits that I need for the song plus bunch of other samples in Gigastudio..
    Will I be able to run let\'s say Stylus and Gigastudio together without any problems?
    Because it sounds great I love the concept of it, but does it mean geting another computer for future high quality virtual instruments?
    Oh, and I was wondering, as far as I understand when you get Stylus you\'re not able to let\'s say take the single wav\'s that you like and make gig file out of it, right?
    oh and I can\'t wait to hear Atmosphere..that one looks really exciting... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Alex
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Are you using GIGA on your sequencing computer? I think most GIGA people have two computers already right?

You use Stylus or any Spectrasonics Virtual Instrument plug-ins directly on your sequencing computer. All your sounds are automatically saved with the song for total recall....pretty cool!

spectrum

Yes the integration thing sounds cool...

And yes I\'m still using giga and seq on one machine...they work fine, but I will probably get another machine soon.. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Alex

Spectrum,

I\'m not understanding this product or tech completely (I\'m Giga nOOb).

Does this product only \"generate\" sounds for techno and such stuff or does it do strings, oboes etc.?

If yes to the latter, how does it compare with orchestral sound libs for Giga?

sincerely,
    Falcon1

Ps. any demo available?

Go Back to forum