• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Strings tinny upon restarting SONAR

Share/Bookmark

Question Strings tinny upon restarting SONAR

I recently had to reinstall my operating system, and now I have a persistent problem that I haven't been able to solve on my own.

In SONAR (X3d build 278), when I create a new Kontakt5 synth for Solo Strad and Gofriller, everything's fine.* But if I close SONAR and then go back to the project, the violins and cellos are extremely weak and tinny sounding, and nothing I do can fix them. I have to create another instance of Kontakt5, set it up with the same instruments, and then change the outputs of the MIDI tracks to point to the new instance (which sounds nice and full). I then delete the old Kontakt 5.

And the new instance stays sounding as expected, right up until the point I exit SONAR and go back to it again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and more importantly, know how to fix it?

_____
    * Well, the Kontakt5 player tells me that the libraries aren't activated, but when I go into the NI Service Center, it shows that they are activated... but that's just a minor annoyance.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Re: Strings tinny upon restarting SONAR

Godfrey, are you sure there isn't a point in your sequence where you're triggering the Harmonics keyswitch without meaning to? Take a look at your tracks in the PRV and see if any notes are going down below the playable range, into the keyswitch area. "Tinny" - made me think perhaps you were hearing the Harmonics samples.

Randy

Absolutely certain. Once I've re-created the strings setup and switched the MIDI outputs to it, the piece can play all the way through from start to finish any number of times without it going tinny. When I quit SONAR, restart, and load the project, the strings are all tinny even before I play the project. And the default keyswitch was the first thing I tried when I noticed the change in timbre.
    -- Jeff Lee
    Etiam singula minima maximi momenti est - Even the smallest detail is of the utmost importance

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Absolutely certain...
    Well, darn. Then I'm mystified, Godfrey! Sounds like a good question for the Sonar Forum - something wonky must be going on in the program.

Randy

Well, that's the thing - it doesn't do it with any other libraries (even the other Garritan ones), so I assumed it must be something specific to either the Strad/Gofriller libraries or the Kontakt5 player, rather than SONAR itself.
    -- Jeff Lee

Well, that's the thing - it doesn't do it with any other libraries (even the other Garritan ones), so I assumed it must be something specific to either the Strad/Gofriller libraries or the Kontakt5 player, rather than SONAR itself.
    Then go to the Native Instruments Forum too, Godfrey. If you have an older version of the Kontakt Player, you may want to try that. I still use Konakt Player 2 for those Garritan solo Libraries, and it works perfectly. KP5, and 4 before it - I never liked them. AND - you know, I think I've heard before from a person or two who reported Strad/Gofriller issues with these newer Kontakts. If you don't have KP2 - maybe you can find it in an archive online somewhere.

Randy

I've still got the original install disks, so I'll give that a try (and just not upgrade them via the Service Center). I seem to remember there was an update to the Gofriller Cello that provided better functionality, but it's no longer available on garritan.com.
    -- Jeff Lee

I've still got the original install disks, so I'll give that a try (and just not upgrade them via the Service Center). I seem to remember there was an update to the Gofriller Cello that provided better functionality, but it's no longer available on garritan.com.
    Maybe you can choose to skip installing everything except KP2 from those discs. You do NOT want to lose that update to the Gofriller.

R

I recently had to reinstall my operating system, and now I have a persistent problem that I haven't been able to solve on my own.

In SONAR (X3d build 278), when I create a new Kontakt5 synth for Solo Strad and Gofriller, everything's fine.* But if I close SONAR and then go back to the project, the violins and cellos are extremely weak and tinny sounding, and nothing I do can fix them. I have to create another instance of Kontakt5, set it up with the same instruments, and then change the outputs of the MIDI tracks to point to the new instance (which sounds nice and full). I then delete the old Kontakt 5.

And the new instance stays sounding as expected, right up until the point I exit SONAR and go back to it again.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, and more importantly, know how to fix it?

_____
    * Well, the Kontakt5 player tells me that the libraries aren't activated, but when I go into the NI Service Center, it shows that they are activated... but that's just a minor annoyance.
    For the weak sounding: I am still using SONAR 8.5.3 and you can check/uncheck "zero controllers when play stops" under Project Options. Don't know if that is the case here..... but it came to my mind.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    For the weak sounding: I am still using SONAR 8.5.3 and you can check/uncheck "zero controllers when play stops" under Project Options.
    Oh, unchecking that option is always one of the first things I do when I start a new project; I wish I could change the default behavior on that.

So, I installed the original KP2 version from the disc, had NI System Center upgrade it (in hopes that it would include that update that had once been available on garritan.com)... and of course it upgraded it to the KP5 version. And now for some reason I have three copies of the KP5 player in my synth list in SONAR. Sigh.

However, I discovered that I don't actually have to delete and re-create the whole synth; I can just open the player, use the arrows to the right of each instrument name to switch it to the Finale version and then back to the regular version, and the timbre goes back to normal. Which still isn't as convenient as just opening up the project and having everything sound the way it was when I closed it, but at least it's better than redoing the whole collection of instruments every time.
    -- Jeff Lee

Go Back to forum