• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best "one shot" industrial library?

Share/Bookmark

Best "one shot" industrial library?

Can anyone give me some directions to a good library of \"one-off\" industrial, metallic \"chink\" \"clank\" \"thunk\" \"stomp\" -type sounds?

Audio or Giga format.

Thanks!

Re: Best "one shot" industrial library?

I dont have it myself, or have heard any demos of it, but Gas Tank Orchestra seems to be one to check out.

Ed

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by mitchb2:
    Can anyone give me some directions to a good library of \"one-off\" industrial, metallic \"chink\" \"clank\" \"thunk\" \"stomp\" -type sounds?

Audio or Giga format.

Thanks!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yo Mitch...long time!!

Hollywood Edge makes the king of all Giga SFX libraries. It\'s WAV format, with Giga-specific QuickSound hooks. The QuickSound implementation is flawless...absolutely the best. Search for \"Guns not rifle\" and you get pistols, for instance.

Dave Govett did the QS implementation...great work Dave!!

Not purely industrial...but tons of industrial sounds included, all hugely recorded. You can do instantaneous searches, and instantly build a GIG file of your chosen \"kit,\" or leave them as a QuickSound reference and call them up as an Endless Wave instrument.

I would recommend this collection to anyone who has sound effects needs. It\'s a considerable step up from most SFX libraries, probably the best you can get in the \"outside world.\" I can\'t say enough good things about it...just absolutely killer.

Maybe overkill for you, Mitch...not sure. But way good.

http://www.hollywoodedge.com

Bruce

Bruce, it sure has been a long time!
    You left the Cakewalk groups a while back, and I left recently also.

Are you referring to the Premiere Series of SFX?
    If so, they have been a meat-n-potatoes library in the game industry for quite a while.

What I\'m looking for is all the great anvil-type, chain-link-fence-type stuff you hear in spooky film/TV scores and good industrial music. Stuff with more musical application.

The Hollywood Edge stuff has been on my list for a loooong time...just haven\'t been doing enough sfx work to justify it.

Hope you\'re doing some good orchestral stuff, Bruce. I\'m halfway home (school-wise).

You might want to try Noise Pollution available here:

http://www.sonicimplants.com/sonicgiga/gigasamplerdrum.htm

CHEAP price, quality sounds. It\'s a small number of different \"instruments\" mapped out over about two octaves, but the vlocity changes are superb. Detune the instrument and you get some VERY useful metallic percussion and stomps.

I don\'t work for these guys, but with this quality and price I wanna see them stay in business!

I got the Sonic Implants industrial kit that Robert Kral is referring to.

That\'s what you\'re looking for!!! It is so cheap that you\'ll feel like your not really buying a gigasampler library [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] (Actually it was not originally designed for Giga...so that might explain the pricing).

It\'s got the clanks, clunks, booms etc.

Just don\'t forget to ALSO detune, AS WELL as use it straight. First thing I did was copy everything up a few octaves for psuedo Left & Right hand playing. THen I load at least two instances of it in Giga, and detune one of them to a lower deeper pitch of my liking. Even with just this, these two midi channels will provide lots of very useful percussion.

Watch the polyphony: it gets HIGH!

Originally posted by Robert Kral:
    Just don\'t forget to ALSO detune, AS WELL as use it straight. First thing I did was copy everything up a few octaves for psuedo Left & Right hand playing. THen I load at least two instances of it in Giga, and detune one of them to a lower deeper pitch of my liking. Even with just this, these two midi channels will provide lots of very useful percussion.

Watch the polyphony: it gets HIGH!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yo mate...

You know the \"self-mask\" trick, don\'t you?

Open the GIG file in the editor, select the instrument that\'s \"killing\" you, and select all the regions, dimensions, and velocity splits. Go to the Mix/Layer tab, check \"self mask\" and then hit the Apply Mix/Layer button. Repeat for all instruments that are building up within that Gig file and save.

This should really reduce the polyphony load on a library like this, without sonically affecting your output. It invokes an algorithm that analyzes incoming MIDI notes of the same pitch, and causes the engine to mute duplicate voices intelligently. For instance, a ride cymbal...with self mask invoked, if you start with soft hits and work towards loud hits, self mask will cut off the softer ones that are sustaining (which are actually being covered up by the louder hits anyway). BUT, if you start with loud hits and work to soft hits, it will allow the louder hits to continue ringing so that you don\'t hear any unnatural cutoffs, and so that the \"behavior\" of the instrument is as much like the acoustic equivalent while still saving you some polyphony.

In fact, I find that it keeps the mix a bit cleaner to not have 100 voices of cymbal or drum sustain fighting each other all the time. Works very well on pianos...in fact most piano libraries use it as a matter of design.

I\'m betting that \"self-mask\" is not invoked on this library.

Originally posted by mitchb2:
    Bruce, it sure has been a long time!
    You left the Cakewalk groups a while back, and I left recently also.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes, I was talking about the Premeire Edition. Some of that stuff maps VERY well to musical uses, but it sounds like there\'s a great alternative with Sonic Implants.

I\'m still working with Cakewalk, just in a different way. I\'ll actually be going on part of the Axis of Audio tour, to talk about softsynth and fx integration. Go figure, haha.

Originally posted by Marty:
    I got the Sonic Implants industrial kit that Robert Kral is referring to.

That\'s what you\'re looking for!!!
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sounds great....I bought a handbells .gig for $18 which turned out to be excellent.

Do you know how many sounds are in the Noise Pollution library? I didn\'t see it mentioned on their site.

Go Back to forum