• Register
  • Help

Topic: Logic for OS X available now

Share/Bookmark

Logic for OS X available now

Yes its the first sequencer to make it to OS X and I can\'t say I\'m surprised they beat Steinberg to the mark. Here\'s the link: Logic for OS X

Its the first to take advantage of OS X\'s ridiculously good coreaudio with 1ms latencies etc.

Come on Steinberg! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Re: Logic for OS X available now

Hasen, you beat me to the punch one this one, I thought I\'d be the first to post the news!

I think it\'s great and I really hope it kicks MOTU and Steinberg in their butt to get their products out the door soon.

I wonder who\'ll be next of those two?

Digidesign is next up. I understand that they will be OS X ready by AES.

Looks like the death of ASIO, OMS, and Free midi on the mac platform....good riddance to them.

I am very stoked about an EXS update...where did that news come from??? Continuous data layer cross-fading soon to follow??...now that would be a kicker. It\'ll turn the EXS into a 2nd GigaStudio for all intents and purposes....except easier to get around.

I can\'t update my LAP until Digidesign gets their drivers ready. Perhaps it is time to invest in another RME card. This one for the MAC. Their OS X drivers are already out.

Yo midphase...thanks for the tip about the dead space in many Giga samples. Disk space saved, and improved polyphony as notes were still sounding on empty space. I guess the intelligent note cut-offs in Gigastudio caused some of the programmers to get lazy, as Giga users likely never heard the effect of all that dead space at the end of samples.

Originally posted by Runyon:
    Digidesign is next up. I understand that they will be OS X ready by AES.

Looks like the death of ASIO, OMS, and Free midi on the mac platform....good riddance to them.

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Runyon, I\'m a little fuzzy on the whole OMS thing. I use it with Pro Tools etc on my current setup, and am wondering why OSX is going to get rid of the need for it....can you explain? Don\'t be confused...I\'ll be glad to see it go..thanks!

Originally posted by Hasen:
    Yes its the first sequencer to make it to OS X and I can\'t say I\'m surprised they beat Steinberg to the mark.

Come on Steinberg! [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Heehee... glad to see I am not the only Cubase user up here! Seems like every bloody composer uses Performer! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Ah, well. Pick your poison, right?

Hi,

I\'m one of the former PC Logic users who have moved to Cubase SX. I am just doing my first job with SX and I must say that I have fallen in love [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

It\'s great and well designed. For a first release it is very stable. Look forward to this on Mac - you\'ll love it. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

regards

Well it looks like Steinberg have updated their website so at least they\'ve done something. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Now wouldn\'t it be a pisser if MOTU and Digidesign switched over to PC and away from the Mac???
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Go to the Unicorn Nation website and even suggest that as a joke - I almost was banned from the site when I just asked if anyone would be interested in a cross-compile. You\'d think I\'d just slapped a nun! The flames didn\'t stop for q week... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Dasher

Pro Tools is already out for the PC.

DP for PC, now that would be interesting....if it ran as smoothly as it does on the Mac I would consider switching. PC\'s are definitely cheaper. Unfortunately I\'m sure that would open up a whole new can of worms.

Right now I\'m pretty upset with MOTU...they are treating me and the rest of their user base very unprofessionally by missing their deadlines by over 8 months and not communicating at all. Their only redemption would be a \"surprise\" Dp X this month.....but I seriously doubt they\'ll come through with that!

tomhartman,

As a fellow Pro-Tools user, I\'m just learning this stuff as it goes. The digidesign web-site has nada on this whole thing...silence is deafening???

Here\'s a link to read what I know.

http://www.emagic.de/english/news/2002/osx2.html

Looks like 3 things of vital importance:

Apple has designed uniformity in 3 basic areas:

CoreMidi - midi engine
    CoreAudio - audio engine
    Audio Units - plug ins.

It sounds to me like everyone has to conform to these standards. I\'m not sure, but I think this may mean that we might be able to run Pro-Tools on other hardware....that would be great as I\'m thinking of getting an RME card for the Mac.

I always despised that proprietary thing from Digidesign. I think it also explains the delays from MOTU and Digi. MAS and DAE may be over.

The best DAW for Mac used to be a thing called Sonic Solutions. Maybe some people remember it. Well, proprietary philosophy sent them into audio purgatory. And NOTHING could touch that system back in the early and mid 90\'s.

I\'ll be at AES this year asking lots of questions.

No more VST either???....hmmm.

I\'m not sure how it will all pan out, but the basic idea of uniformity sounds like the makings of ultra-stability. It also should make things easier for 3rd party developers to not have to write variations for all the different audio engines.

As of right now, I couldn\'t switch. I wonder where Waves, TC and other plug-in folks are on this change-over to OS X Audio Units???...and what about all those hours of writing copy protection?? does that translate over to OS X??

Now wouldn\'t it be a pisser if MOTU and Digidesign switched over to PC and away from the Mac???

Go Back to forum