• Register
  • Help

Topic: Any luck with the StudioAx Piano One soundfont in Giga?

Share/Bookmark

Any luck with the StudioAx Piano One soundfont in Giga?

I downloaded the latest version (Version 1.8--I bought the original some time ago) and opened it in the GigaEditor. Some of the settings are very good. By far one of the best piano sound fonts, with many velocity layers and excellent recording. (Very nice, well-miced pop\\rock piano: this was created by someone with some serious equipment and skills.)

Bruce Richardson and Sam: have you heard this sample set? What are your thoughts?

However: the sound seems to reduce in volume or cut off in a strange way after a few minutes or sometimes seconds. Sometimes it comes back, as if I were running out of polyphony and my RAM just had to empty out, and sometimes I instead get a thinner piano sound at a very low volume. I\'ve tried adjusting all the volume settings and the Master Attenuation in Giga, with no help.

When the sound is good, it is excellent: I was playing some Carol King using the Pop\\Rock settings, and was seriously disappointed when the sound suddenly cut in voulme and fullness. (It was almost as if it went from a stereo to a mono sample at a lower volume). Any help getting this often good piano working in Giga would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Any luck with the StudioAx Piano One soundfont in Giga?

No one\'s responded after two weeks. Does this mean I\'m as tone deaf as I sometimes suspect? This sample set is that bad? (I sometimes prefer it to Gigapiano...)

Jake,

I also bought the GP One soundfont a while back (I think I am still on 1.3x) and felt at that time it was the best piano soundfont available. However, I don\'t think it compares to the newer pianos available for Giga. I have the Bardstown Bosendorfer and like it much better. I have had people tell me that they prefer the sound of GP One though.

It happens that I just did a comparison for a friend and recorded her piece both with the Bardstown Bosendorfer, and also with GP One. You can hear the two if you want to download them.

The Bardstown Bosendorfer version is at:

http://www.cdsol.com/cdsol/downloads/edgebosie4.mp3
    and the GP One version is at:

http://www.cdsol.com/cdsol/downloads/edgeLSP.mp3

Both were done in Sonar 2, and the GP One version used LiveSynth Pro. The Bardstown Bosie was done in Giga 160. I did use different articulations with the Bosendorfer, because of a certain sound that the composer wanted. So you will notice that the different parts sound somewhat different. If you want a little better comparison of the Bosendorfer, download:

http://www.cdsol.com/cdsol/downloads/edgebosie3.mp3

which does not use different articulations, and uses the same reverb and finishing that I used on the GP One version.

The bottom line, IMHO, is that the GP One is a great soundfont, but it is not in the same class as the Bardstown Bosendorfer (that\'s the only one I have and can directly compare it to).

-- Martin

Oh, there\'s no question that it can\'t compare to a fully developed Giga instrument. On the other hand, in some settings it sounds better in the middle range than Gigapiano. No release samples, or course, but it\'s well recorded.

I have the Studio One soundfont. I\'m not seeking impressions so much as any suggestions about what I might do to prevent it from suddenly cutting in volume and fullness.

In any case, the site for the soundfont says that they\'re now creating a Giga version. No information about the size of the sample set or if release samples will be included.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Jake Johnson:
    No one\'s responded after two weeks. Does this mean I\'m as tone deaf as I sometimes suspect? This sample set is that bad? (I sometimes prefer it to Gigapiano...)
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I don\'t think it\'s that bad. I think the \"Falling in love...\" demo sounds pretty good (although the bass sample is a little distracting). The other two demos are too short to judge, and the new age Christian tune definitely didn\'t have what I\'d call a stunning quality to it.

I think that it\'s a bit of an illustration of how different piano samples can be great at one particular sound (in this case, the two-fisted jazz chords from \"falling\" have a nice cohesiveness, and sound like chords instead of a collection of individual notes) but lousy at others (the aforementioned new-age tune just didn\'t have the expansiveness of tone to sell as a solo piano work).

I think that IS one of the nicer soundfont pianos I\'ve heard. Hard to judge it comparatively with giga-native pianos, since the MP3, engineering...any factor could be influencing the sound of those demos. It could be better or worse \"in person.\" One thing I did notice is that the imaging seems to bounce when it\'s exposed as a solo instrument, and doesn\'t seem to have a very stable grounding in the soundstage.

I only feel comfortable making recommendations on instruments that I have actually played and used myself. Ultimately, that\'s the only thing that really informs me in a way I\'d trust to advise someone else on how to spend money...hence my lack of reply on this particular thread. I really try not to speculate about instruments I don\'t use. I should have explained that, rather than leave it hanging...my bad. I just don\'t know how to compare that piano to anything, because I have no dependable context with which to make the comparison.

Go Back to forum