• Register
  • Help

Topic: My first work with Garritan Personal Orchestra and Finale 2014

Share/Bookmark

Re: My first work with Garritan Personal Orchestra and Finale 2014

Hi Clay,

With great interest I have listened to your orchestral work. You did a very nice job orchestrating and composing. The overall sound is issue for improvement, but your composition stands! That's a fine start.

The Garritan instruments have certainly the realism they merit and the balance is pretty much OK. Only the space feel and the ambience leave some room for improvement.

Well done, I really like the piece!

Max

Max,
    Thank you for the kind words. You've inspired me to research how others have improved the overall sound of their Garritan mixes.
    Thanks again.
    Regards,
    Clay

I love this work! Excitement from start to finish. I'm a fan of those kind of rhythms.

As far as the realization, I do not work with Finale so I am not sure what else it is capable of. I am a fan of recording instruments live in Sonar then tweaking in Piano Roll. For instance, the staccato notes are quite long in this recording, which makes it sound quite sticky. Also, Finale doesn't seem to be triggering whatever cc the sustain pedal is, that causes the attack samples to be omitted. Therefore, there is no legato - especially noticeable in the trills. Even with Finale's human playback feature, it still doesn't quite get the variation common to a live performance - noticeable especially in repeated notes.

Anyway, just a few observations on why I'm a fan of recording in real time.

Great composition, and thanks for sharing!
    Owen
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Owen,
    Thank you for taking the time to listen to my work. I appreciate the insights and observations that you shared. I had not thought about the weaknesses of Finale Human Playback especially the effects on repeated notes, legato, and trills. I will try to learn a little more on this topic to make my works sound a little better.
    Thanks again,
    Clay

Clay, it's a really absorbing piece to listen to - Edgy and sophisticated, really nice. The rendering is very good too, coming from notation instead of a DAW program where it would have a chance to sound more organic. Thanks for sharing.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Clay, it's a really absorbing piece to listen to - Edgy and sophisticated, really nice. The rendering is very good too, coming from notation instead of a DAW program where it would have a chance to sound more organic. Thanks for sharing.

Randy
    Randy,
    Thanks for the kind words. I have used Cubase to create backing tracks for a rock band. You know, adding horns, strings, and extra keyboard parts, with a loud "click" and cues in the ear for the drummer. I have not tried exporting from Finale MIDI into Cubase--sounds like a weekend project to add to my list of "to dos".
    Thanks again,
    Clay

Hello Clay! Fantastic composition! I really enjoyed the energy and motion of this one. There's lots going on throughout the entire piece, and that makes it incredibly engaging from the start to the end. I feel the urge to sit on the edge of my seat, but by the strength of will alone, I will force myself to stay relaxed on this easy Good Friday morning

I appreciate you taking the time to share this with us, you have done some great work!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum