• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: What's your favorite classical piano recording (soundwise)

Share/Bookmark

What\'s your favorite classical piano recording (soundwise)

Before recording the samples for what would be the White Grand, I asked the forum for opinions on their favorite piano recordings, sound wise.
    I got several responses, and all those put together was one biiig inspiration for making the White Grand.
    Since we now are planning the next recording, and yes, it will be called te Black Grand, I would like to take the opportunity to ask the forum again.
    Here\'s the set-up:

The goal for this session is to record a piano suitable for classical and jazz music.
    I know this is a broad spectrum, but this way, I\'ll get a lot of feedback, ad we can narrow it down from there.

The instrument used in for this is a Steinway D. The instrument was handpicked from the Steinway factory about 1 1/2 year ago by the concert hall of Orebro, Sweden. It arrived to the concert hall about 10 months ago, and has been sitting in it\'s new location and \"matured\". Just before Christmas they had the first concert using the Steinway.
    The instrument will be recorded in the concert hall since I want to get the great acoustics in that hall.
    Just prior to the recording, the piano will be intonated and checked by a certified Steinway tech to make sure that it\'s in top condition.
    We will use the same method as we did for the White Grand. That is, we will use SLH to record 16 velocity splits pedal up, 16 pedal down and release samples.

So, dear forum, what we need from you is examples on what you consider to be the BEST classical/jazz piano sound you ever heard on a recording.

Re: What\'s your favorite classical piano recording (soundwise)

The truth is I never liked classical recordings. Why? Most of them are recorded from an audience\'s perspective. I like the tone of the East West\'s new Galaxy Steinway. It\'s very classical but also upfront. IMO, classical means that you don\'t hear much \"zing\" in the softer velocities. One has to play very powerful for that. It\'s all in the hammers. In pianissimo mode, I\'m sure that Schindler\'s List or even Jacques Brel sounds perfect on the Galaxy Steinway. Now we only need Worra to do a 16 vel. pedal up and 16 vel. splits pedal down version of it (and with resonance model [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] ).

------------
    Alex Cremers

Worra,

There are a lot of bright pianos out there, including the White Grand. I\'m looking for a darker, more mellow piano. There are very few of those available. I hope that is what you are going to produce! Dark, mellow, with the signature Worra approach to dynamic control - now that would be a piano that would speak to me, and one that I could make (my) music with!

Lawrence

Gyorgy Ligeti, Works for Piano, performed by Pierre-Laurent Aimard (Sony SK62308)

Olivier Messiaen, Vingt Regards, performed by Pierre-Laurent Aimard (Teldec 3984-26868-2)

I think one of my favorite recordings I\'ve heard of a classical piano is from the soundtrack to the movie \"Imortal Beloved\". All of the Emmanuel Ax recordings are excellent [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'ll think of more [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

J-

I\'m no expert but I really the 1987 recording of Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No.1 by Mikhail Pletnev. The liner notes say it was recorded in St Augustine\'s Church. On the same disc he plays Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini. Both very nice recordings in my opinion.

When do you think the new library will be released?

Looper

Worra, I like Raul DiBlasio. Specially in his Solo album, the Solo (piano solo) song. I like the pp bass notes on the left hand. He also has a pretty good arrangement of Sleepy Shores. I\'d love a piano library that sounds like this album right out of the box [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] !

Hello,
    Definitely Horowitz - Rachmaninov´s 3rd concerto from January 8,1978 at Carnegie Hall!

McCoy Tyner - Revelations

Dave Newton on
    Stacey Kent - Dreamsville

McCoy Tyner - Revelations is jazz piano music.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast