• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Topic: Bach Sonata for violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1022

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Bach Sonata for violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1022

    The Music

    The story.

    VSL Solo Strings bundle,
    Francois Etienne Blanchet Harpsichord (PianoTeq),
    Overture Notation - copied score from downloaded score from IMSLP (not an original score - edited version),
    Edited this Overture score on details, e.g. mordents for the harpsichord,
    In Overture tweaked the MIDI file with articulations, expressions, etc.
    Exported MIDI to SONAR - and then the problems began (haha).

    This picture reflects the Notes and Program Changes (yellow):



    As in GPO, some patches come double, one for Vibrato and one for Non-Vibrato. Only they are triggered by a value of CC20 (not visible in this picture). GPO has keyswitches, it is the Vib or the Non-Vib. In VSL one can smoothly go from Vib to non-Vib by means a (sliding)value of this CC20. There are a lot of them. Since baroque music has little or no vibrato and when present mostly at the end of the longer notes, I applied this setting of CC20 very often. This CC20 is also used for switching the various patches, e.g. from normal long legato to fast legato.

    It is going to far presenting you a course "How-to-use-VSL". The only thing I am not satisfied of are the trills. I must explore them a bit further. The score contained various errors on trills, mordents, but I only noticed that while making the file ready for recording.

    Forgive me the beginners mistakes, close your eyes and listen to great music.

    Raymond
    [PS some notes on Internet learned me that this score may not be from Bach himself, but from one of his pupils]

  2. #2
    Senior Member tedvanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada,winter Mexico
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: Bach Sonata for violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1022

    Hello Raymond:

    I had to go back to the Capriccio you posted earlier, because I thought I have some problem with my audio. Sure enough, the Capriccio sounded as I remembered, while here your violin does not sound right.
    I am truly sorry to say this, but it sounds like the attacks are delayed, then the sound is fine. At about 2:50 or so, the sound starts to get better.
    Do not put too much weight on my observation as my ears are not reliable any more, but I think you want to know what we think. The work you have put in is incredible.

    Ted

  3. #3

    Re: Bach Sonata for violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1022

    A capriccio is a difficult task to perform with samples (too many notes...), but a delicate sonata is quite another thing. The huge amount of singles notes makes place for long phrasing with a fragile texture. The solo instrument turns in a miraculous voice singing out its soul, its deepest emotions. Therefore, such a task is even more demanding and asks for strong interpretation with respect for the original score and the intentions of the composer, taking into account the particular playing techniques of the instrument.

    Even with the slight imperfections, this is an incredible job of sample perfection to the limits. And a solo string instrument doesn't lie, it's always naked and vulnerable in its simplicity. Raymond, I know what labour you've put into this one, just to learn how to handle the VSL solo patches. It was very challenging, but you've succeeded multa cum laude! You did honour to (the so called) Bach, to the music and to your immense persistence. The hours that went into this are uncountable.

    Congratulation!

    Max

  4. #4

    Re: Bach Sonata for violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1022

    Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    A capriccio is a difficult task to perform with samples (too many notes...), but a delicate sonata is quite another thing. The huge amount of singles notes makes place for long phrasing with a fragile texture. The solo instrument turns in a miraculous voice singing out its soul, its deepest emotions. Therefore, such a task is even more demanding and asks for strong interpretation with respect for the original score and the intentions of the composer, taking into account the particular playing techniques of the instrument.

    Even with the slight imperfections, this is an incredible job of sample perfection to the limits. And a solo string instrument doesn't lie, it's always naked and vulnerable in its simplicity. Raymond, I know what labour you've put into this one, just to learn how to handle the VSL solo patches. It was very challenging, but you've succeeded multa cum laude! You did honour to (the so called) Bach, to the music and to your immense persistence. The hours that went into this are uncountable.

    Congratulation!

    Max
    And still, inspite of your words, I made a newer version. Lowered the tempo, added/altered articulations and expressions and a lot more. For an exercise not bad, but there is a lot to learn. I love Wiener Schnitzel and Sacher Torte, but Vienna Solo violins are somewhat heavy on my stomach.......

    The newer version, the old link still exists.

    For the next couple of days NO MORE BACH!!!!!!! for me. Brubeck maybe or the Duke.

    Raymond
    [and SONAR messes up the Program Changes, puts them at other places than intended, one or two ticks make a difference, you know].

  5. #5
    Senior Member tedvanya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canada,winter Mexico
    Posts
    1,004

    Re: Bach Sonata for violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1022

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    And still, inspite of your words, I made a newer version. Lowered the tempo, added/altered articulations and expressions and a lot more. For an exercise not bad, but there is a lot to learn. I love Wiener Schnitzel and Sacher Torte, but Vienna Solo violins are somewhat heavy on my stomach.......

    The newer version, the old link still exists.

    For the next couple of days NO MORE BACH!!!!!!! for me. Brubeck maybe or the Duke.

    Raymond
    [and SONAR messes up the Program Changes, puts them at other places than intended, one or two ticks make a difference, you know].
    The only reason for my comment was that you truly made a musical Schnitzel and Sacher Torte with your Capriccio, I truly was hearing real playing, some spots even incredibly real. Me, who never used (and never will either) that wonderful library, in my technical ignorance, expected to hear a similar performance.
    In your second version I hear more good things.
    Now I will shut up, and just beg you to forgive this old fool for butting his big nose into your work. I do have a friend who plays excellent violin, a teacher turning out some good talents too. I will let her listen to your ( and by now: my) Capriccio, and will tell you what she said.

    Ted

  6. #6

    Re: Bach Sonata for violin and Harpsichord, BWV 1022

    Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    The only reason for my comment was that you truly made a musical Schnitzel and Sacher Torte with your Capriccio, I truly was hearing real playing, some spots even incredibly real. Me, who never used (and never will either) that wonderful library, in my technical ignorance, expected to hear a similar performance.
    In your second version I hear more good things.
    Now I will shut up, and just beg you to forgive this old fool for butting his big nose into your work. I do have a friend who plays excellent violin, a teacher turning out some good talents too. I will let her listen to your ( and by now: my) Capriccio, and will tell you what she said.

    Ted
    Thank you, Ted. I really appreciate this, comments from a violin player/teacher.

    Raymond
    [and there is nothing to forgive. Any comment is a learning experience for me]

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •