• Register
  • Help

Topic: what solo libraries?

what solo libraries?

Hello there,
    I will shortly buy a GS, and was wondering what are the best solo instrument (classical) libraries? In particular violin, viola, cello, flute, oboe and clarinet.
    If you know of something really super (like the vienna symphonic library, which will unfortunately be a bit too expensive for me, and moreover doesn\'t include solo strings) that will be released soon, don\'t hesitate to mention it if you think it will be worth while to wait for it.

Ah, and a second question. Does anyone know of a sample cd which contains the vietnamese monochord (dan bao)?

thx for your help!

Re: what solo libraries?

You might want to consider the Dan Dean samples at www.dandeanpro.com (the DD Solo Strings and DD Solo Woodwinds).
    I believe you can find some high-quality violins, violas, cellos, flutes, oboes and clarinets there.

I´m personally using the Miroslav Vitous stuff for solo woodwinds, which are somewhat decent, but a general disappointment compared to their price.

I´m sure someone else can add something here [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Wow, thx for the fast answers!

I guess the question for you is do you want to make music now or wait to make possibly slightly better music in the future.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You\'re probably right, but it all depends on wether it\'s one month or half a year away in the fututre. Bearing this in mind, do you know if the Garritan solo strings are expected soon or is still some months ahead? (and has anyone heard some \"previews\" of it?)

Hi solitar,

I\'ll take a different tack with regard to this inquiry. There are many many demos and pieces on just thye first two pages of this forum. Anyone reading every thread on those pages would certainly have a lot to think about and would know most if not all the library devlopers.

Paul\'s suggestion of Dan Dean\'s libraries is very good and right on. I\'d buy Dan Dean now and think about adding Vienna when released. Sample libraries are like computer technologies, there\'s always a better one just a few months down the road. I guess the question for you is do you want to make music now or wait to make possibly slightly better music in the future. Bear in mind there\'s nothing, other than budget, to prevent you from buying Vienna when it\'s released.

Good luck,

Steve Chandler

Dan Dean\'s strings are fantastic. Don\'t let the great price fool you into thinking you\'re \'settling\', until something better appears.

I know there are a lot of new solo libraries expected to hit the market soon, but outside of more articulations and layers, they will have to really go some to beat the DDSS.

If someone had told me that the DDSS were 4 or 5 hundred dollars, I would have thought \"yeah, well you can hear the basic sound is fabulous. Why are these things so damned expensive though?\"

Anyway, you can\'t go wrong with it - astonishing value.

Go Back to forum