• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Good examples of comedy soundtracks?

Good examples of comedy soundtracks?

I\'m struggling a bit these days, trying to come up with a good variety of music to support comedy. Would you people have any examples of good, contemporary comedy soundtrack work? It can be film, but tv would be even better. Oh, and I don\'t mean the quick \'Seinfeld\' transitions - I\'m talking longer cues.

Thanks! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Good examples of comedy soundtracks?

I personally think one of the best Hollywood comedy guys is David Newman. He\'s done some amazing scores for some big Hollywood movies - Scooby Doo, Ice Age, Bedazzled . But the craft in his stuff is top notch. As far as TV, I think your best bet is to look at children\'s cartoons. They\'ve got some cool versatile comedy scoring - Spongebob, The Rugrats, Jimmy Nuetron for more modern, and of course the old cartoons - Tom and Jerry, etc. for the classic stuff. It seems, at least here in the US, that most comedy TV shows aren\'t really \'scored\' in a traditional sense with orchestral stuff. Hope that helps - I\'m sure there are a million other suggestions better than mine......

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels!. One of my favourite soundtracks with some great light jazz bits accompanying the slapstick stuff.

The old cartoons are still unbeatable. The timing and musical wit is something special and a lot of modern versions look pretty ineffective by comparison.

Ditto on Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. Don\'t know why, but it\'s the first one that popped into my mind. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Have to concur about David Newman. Perhaps the best comedy cue writer working today. Also check out his most recent....\"Cat in the Hat\". Some great cues, including some songs.

Have to completely disagree with the notion of old-school Carl Stallings style of cartoon cues. Although brilliant, they are very out of touch with modern sensibilities.

Good luck. Comedy writing may be the most difficult style to nail.

Thanks for the tips, friends! Another Newman, huh? I sure will check him out. I have to agree about the old cartoons being out of sync with today\'s world. I\'m writing for teenagers, in this case, so it\'s got to be funny and yet hip. And yeah, I\'ll take drama over comedy any day! Not that I\'m complaining, however... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Castle Rock, Colorado

The Cartoon Demo Piece on EWQLSO may be considered as well - just my 2 cents.

I would suggest Pure Luck by Jonathan Scheffer and, City Slickers by Marc Shaiman.

I just watched Rat Race (John Powell) tonight. It has some good moments, but it suffers from pop-soundtracitus. Still, it\'s a good film for goofy chase music, and there\'s some slide trombone and slippery clarinet drunk music that would work well for some scenes. There\'s also some original music at the end of the credits that bends full orchestal music towards comedy.

And Klezmer music always cracks me up. There\'s probably a ton of good stuff in that genre. Anybody up for a Klezmer Clarinet Collection library???

Olomouc; Czech Republic

Best music from Rat race is Classical music which is used a lot.

Also John Williams is good in that sort of composition - Indiana Jones And the last crusade - \"No ticket\" and similiar...

Go Back to forum