• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Culture interface - others should follow suit

Share/Bookmark

Culture interface - others should follow suit

I installed Culture, Trilogy, and Atmosphere and I can\'t help but think the Spectrasonics products should follow suit. I am amazed at how well thought out Culture is with its layers and key maps (whatever they are called). I think Trilogy should implement something similar. It would make it easier to incorporate slides, noises, etc without having to launch different instances.

I had to read the Culture manual several times to finally grasp some of its implementations.

-brian

Re: Culture interface - others should follow suit

I agree 100% Brian.

I just finished my first job using Trilogy and Stylus, and as much as I love the sounds it has been a major PIA having to load a different instance of Stylus for each individual drum sound I use, and the same goes for Trilogy - I ended up using 3 instances of Trilogy just to get my Upright sound the way I like it.

Once I\'d done this, I ran into my second problem. I was writing 2x30\" and 2x15\" of what was basically the same piece of music, but because Nuendo had to reload all the VSTi\'s, every time I switched arrangements I had to twiddle my thumbs for at least a minute. That may not seem like much to some people, but it\'s an eternity when the client is sitting there waiting for you to shift your @ss just to make some minor edit to a bass note on each version.

I\'m really not looking forward to working with multiple arrangements loaded if this is the way it has to be.

I know that Bruce would say \'just freeze your vsti tracks!\', but I\'d waste just as much time doing that because we\'re constantly tweaking stuff at note level. For me, writing seems to morph in and out of the mix process - which is what\'s great about audio sequencers of course. In a manner of speaking, we know the \'writing\' is finished when we\'ve delivered a final mix.

I suppose G3 and Rewire or Max\'s Vst wrapper may solve this multi timbral silliness.

Stylus RMX is coming out in September and will be multi-timbral.

speaking of Culture-anyone received the update to 1.5 yet with the taiko drums and other content?

i was told a few weeks ago that it would be shipping in the next week.

Hi,
    thanks for the positive feedbacks on Culture.
    The free updates were sent out to our distributors already 2 weeks ago. Now they are preparing the packages and sending them to the users. We already receive update registrations from all over the world, so the update procedure is in progress. I\'m sure it will not take too much time until all users got their free update package with Culture 1.5.0.
    Best regards

Christian

Hi Brian,

You might want to check out the Trilogy true staccato tutorial video that we recently posted. You may be using more instances than you really need. usually, the True Staccato patch has all the articulations you would need.

http://www.spectrasonics.net/instruments/mov/Trilogy_True_Staccato_demo.html

And yes....you will not BELIEVE what Stylus RMX is like....multitimbrality is just the beginning.

:-)

spectrum

Isn\'t there any way to upgrade the current interface people are having issues with regarding the Spectrasonics programs? ie., can\'t the original Stylus be upgraded to multitambral? Just curious.
    -Hudson

Originally posted by spectrum:

And yes....you will not BELIEVE what Stylus RMX is like....multitimbrality is just the beginning.

spectrum
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Let me guess... You dont even have to be a musician anymore? RMX does it all for you!

cool

Okay, that sorta answers it. So the orginal Stylus can\'t be \"upgraded\". Riddle me this, though. I\'m not sure how your products are set up to operate, but will there be any way to use the original Stylus sound banks on the RMX?

I guess what I\'m getting at is if you get one library, say Stylus, would you be able to integrate it with the additional restructuring that will come out with RMX? Ya follow what I mean? Are the libraries seperate from the interface, or is it one for all and all for one and all or nothing?

I\'m thinking of it in more of a Kontakt way, I guess, where the app can run different libraries. Or are the Spectrasonics products app/library inseperable? Sorry for all the questions, I\'m just trying to wrap my brain around these things.
    -Hudson

Originally posted by Hudson:
    Okay, that sorta answers it. So the orginal Stylus can\'t be \"upgraded\". Riddle me this, though. I\'m not sure how your products are set up to operate, but will there be any way to use the original Stylus sound banks on the RMX?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes....of course all of the original sounds from Stylus are included in the new Stylus RMX core library.

So Stylus RMX IS essentailly a new intrument, but it\'s ALSO an update to Stylus ---a massive one....with an entirely new engine, new interface, tons of new features, a full featured system of fx racks and much more than double the amount of sounds.

The upgrade for existing Stylus users is only $99 (it\'s even free if you buy the original Stylus in 2004 prior to September)...so that\'s a pretty incredible deal considering what Stylus users are getting (far more than double the original instrument).

So you can\'t go wrong.

Originally posted by Hudson:
    I guess what I\'m getting at is if you get one library, say Stylus, would you be able to integrate it with the additional restructuring that will come out with RMX? Ya follow what I mean? Are the libraries seperate from the interface, or is it one for all and all for one and all or nothing?

I\'m thinking of it in more of a Kontakt way, I guess, where the app can run different libraries. Or are the Spectrasonics products app/library inseperable? Sorry for all the questions, I\'m just trying to wrap my brain around these things.
    -Hudson
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Neither Stylus or Stylus RMX are \"libraries\"...they are sound module-style virtual instruments with included core libraries and unique features.

But here\'s the best part....

One of the coolest new things about Stylus RMX is that it can also be expanded using any Groove Control sample library and any REX files (ReCycle format libraries or even your own audio loops). So in this respect it is now very much an \"app\" in the way you are thinking, but actually a lot better than what you are used to with something like Kontakt.

Let\'s see if I can explain this:

With traditional samplers, you nearly always losing functionality or compatibility with certain features of the originally programmed library format. In the case of Stylus RMX...the SAGE technology actually enhances and radically IMPROVES the capabilities of the original sample libraries!

So yes.....it\'s quite something brand new and we\'re really excited about it!

Hope that helps....

spectrum

Go Back to forum