• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The art of playing bad...

The art of playing bad...

Right now I am creating a \"Kinks\" kind of song for a commercial. The hardest part is playing as bad as they did in 1965! [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

In the original Kinks numbers from that period the drums are often terrible untight, the bass is out of tune, the 2 guitars are not in tune either and they can\'t really keep their \"role\". When their is a guitar-solo it is a joke...

The vocals are cool though. It\'s very charming and I love it, but so hard to get that sound! [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] It\'s almost impossible to play \"bad\" when you are raised with tightness and to play out of tune! [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

But then it\'s the general sound. Most of the early recordings where recorded live in the studio and that sound is hard to get.

PS. If any of you have a suggestion of \"vinyl\" plugins please post a reply to this OT topic.

I\'ll might post a link to the final version.
    (If the film director likes it...)

Re: The art of playing bad...

Hey.. Im working on a TV Show now and they want all the music to sound old and vintage. I agree with you.. it aint easy to get that sound. I use alot of distortion, overdrive, compression, ugly eqs and stuff like that on all instruments. The gears from that time had natural distortion and warmth but now we have to fake that. When it comes to reverb Im totally in love with those spring reverb impulses for Acoustic Mirror from Sonic Foundry. I even lent a spring reverb and made some custom impulses. Other nice things i try to do is to mess up the tuning. My bass patches are not perfect tuned and the pianos arent always in tune. Adding noise is cool too and why not try Free Filter for matching the eq in the mastering. Then we need Dirty samples...

Good luck

Hi Thomas,

Maybe you should do what half the 60\'s bands did and get reeeaally hammered before trying to record the guitar parts...I\'m sure you\'ll find that \"tightness\" factor will cease to be an issue rather quickly...hehe...

Originally posted by Scott Speed:
    Maybe you should do what half the 60\'s bands did and get reeeaally hammered before trying to record the guitar parts...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well I better get some beers then... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hi Tobias,

Yeah we get the same ideas. I love to make \"stereophonic\" mixes too: bass in the left speaker, drums in the right, etc.

Today it sounds funny, but I guess it eas real cool in the sixties. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

Thomas, have a look for the Grungelizer from Steinberg. It used to be a free plugin which came with Wavelab.

You can pick the year you want your recording to warp back to (a bit of tingue in cheek there I think) as well as add 50/60hz hum, distortion and crackle. You can even use a simple eq knob to make the sound come across as more distant.

It\'s simple but fun [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Hi Scarbee,

You need the Mastererizer!

\"A Software Mastering Plug-In that Actually Makes Your Mix Sound WORSE!\"

Have fun,

Playing Bad? ...ooooh you youngins.....To me it is playing like a human, not a machine. To each his own. It\'s subjective. Okay, the old man (me) is going to have to bite his ever thickening tongue in this response.

The Kinks were one of the most influential rock bands of all time. They CREATED a sound. Ray Davies songwriting influenced everyone from Elvis Costello to David Bowie. Ray was a master songwriter.

Technically, Dave Davies would slash his amp speakers with a razor blade to get that distinctive sound on the guitar. So unless you have that sampled, you\'ll never get it with computers. And as far as I know, there is no \"slashed speaker\" plug-in....

Plus, bands played together in the studio. By the way, this is a technique that has enjoyed a revival today with the more innovative bands. It\'s a great \"live\" sound.

As far as the \"panning\" thing....well, in the 60\'s, these things were printed on vinyl. Bass and Drums were ALWAYS panned center. You had no choice. A record would skip if you had heavy bass transients panned to either side.

Now later, when CD\'s were re-released, mastering engineers did different things with the 4 track mixes. Unusual panning that had nothing to do with the original versions.

Back in the 60\'s, most people still listened in mono in their cars. The more modern CD mixes are very different than the originals.

However, I do know what you mean about these requests for bad playing. To me, the worst thing I hear in film is when you get a wedding band or something like it. They ALWAYS play too well on film.

I recently did music for some friends who had made a documentary and they wanted kinda 60s groove.
    I had no idea what I was doing so incase Im gonna do something like this again it would be nice to know some tricks on how to get the \"sound\" right.

Btw: A sample from the \"60s groove\" I did:

Steve t....you did a pretty nice job there.

Coupla things...listen to more original Wilson Pickett and less modern late night talk show for the horn arrangements.

The flutey thing is great. More wah guitar is good. The bass is just a tad too defined.

You got the drum groove heavy on the cymbals down....very good representation of the style.

The guitar feedback at the end is more 70\'s than 60\'s.

Overall, a nice job. You will get mixing and eq hints from listening to more original recordings.

Go Back to forum