• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Dave Govvett Mastery Tutorials and controller...

Share/Bookmark

OT: Dave Govvett Mastery Tutorials and controller...

Hiya all,

I had a look into one of the episodes of the Mastery Tutorials that came GOS and I am ordering a copy soon... But...

Does anyone know the controller that Dave uses for the tutorials??? It looks really good and its got the pitch bend and mod wheel right next to the keys which is what I want!!! Plus it looks fully 88 note weighted too...

I was considering getting the Yamaha S80 or S08 as my controller but the mod wheel and pitch wheel are located in the top left corner of the keyboard so I would have to stretch to reach them... The Roland keyboards don\'t have a mod wheel but sliders can be programmed but it feels different from a mod wheel... Korgs and Kurzweils are too expensive...

Anybody got any suggestions???

meeehoon

Re: OT: Dave Govvett Mastery Tutorials and controller...

Here\'s a portion of his interview over at the GOS forum (from a month or so ago). According to this info, he\'s using a Kurzweil K2000 - and that\'s what it looks like in the video.

I myself was wondering about the Multiple MIDI slider thingamajig that is sitting on his K2000, but he doesn\'t mention what controller that is.

After a year of using a boring old digital piano as a controller (no mod wheel or sliders), I finally broke down and ordered a Kurzweil PC2x last week. I want to have access to more of the expressive features that the newer libraries offer, and that requires a keyboard with some MIDI controllers (or a dedicated device such as Dave\'s mystery doodad). I\'ve always loved Kurzweil products, and the PC2x seems like a great candidate for a Giga controller.

From the GOS forum interview with David Govett:

\"Just curious what\'s running in your studio and why you like to work with that specific equipment? (how many giga machines and how they\'re set up; other samplers (BLASPHAMY!!); sequencer/audio program; board; controllers; etc.)\"

submitted by Kobb

[David Govett]

\"Blasphemy indeed! No other samplers other than my K2000 and it is just a controller now so that doesn’t count. Right now, I’m using 4 systems and one of them runs both the Logic sequencer and a GigaStudio. I run everything through a standard Mackie analog board to hear everything and I can mix down to hard disk tracks or DAT for quick mixes but I can also capture everything into Vegas or Nuendo to do a better mix using all virtual DSP. I can then take my hard drive over to Larry Seyer if I need a real good mix. I plan to eventually (with time and budget of course.. you all can help with this by getting my GigaStudio Mastery course…) invest in a system or two just dedicated to Nuendo and that will be my real time mixing board with surround. I priced analog consoles and they are a rip off compared to what I can do with a computer or two and the right audio cards. I’m using Logic because I have been using it for many years. When I started using it, there was no other competition that even compared. If I was starting fresh, I would consider Cubase for sure. The two or fairly equal so I just tell people to use the one they are use to.\"

That\'s right. I\'ts just an ancient K2000 and there is a Peavy PC 1600 x MIDI controller on top of it. I really like the feel of Kurz keyboards. Someday I\'ll get a real (now I look under the peavy controller to see how to speel Kurzzweil) Kurzweil controller.
    Glad you like the tutorial. Wait till you see the fancy stuff we did on disk 4.
    Take care
    Dave

Hiya,

Thanks Dave and Kobb!!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Kurzweil stuff are great although I heard from somewhere that its being bought over by a Korean company??? I am actually looking at getting the K2600. But then its got all these functions like a sampler etc inside that I will be paying extra and not using it...

Does anyone have any experience with the Oberheim controllers? They look quite awesome, especially the MC3000.

http://www.viscount-organs.com/frameset_oberheim_viscount.htm

Cheers:
    meeehoon

I was also considering the K2600 for a while, but I had the same reaction that you did. Why should I spend all that money for a sampler that I probably won\'t use much when all I really wanted was the control capabilities? That\'s why I decided to go the PC2x route. It\'s quite a bit cheaper, has most of the same MIDI control features, and comes loaded with some pretty decent sounds. I think they\'re going for around $1900 at most retailers (as opposed to $3600 for the K2600).

Anyway, that might be one option you\'d like to consider.

Hiya Kobb,

Thanks for the PC2x info!!! I will have a closer look at it!!!

Cheers: [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    meeehoon

Go Back to forum