• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: X3 install: FAIL - C++ again-Need computer expert help

Share/Bookmark

Angry X3 install: FAIL - C++ again-Need computer expert help

Installed X3 today, but it won't run. "Runtime error-Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library." And my old Sonar 8.5.3 also won't run now either, displays the same message.

Total Deja Vu. In February the X3 Demo I tried was a fail, but that was more complicated, involving an apparently corrupted download file. With the help of Michael Bolt who told me to run my newest Restore Point in Safe Mode, I was able to step back and get back my Sonar 8.5.

This time I was optimistic, hoping the full X3 installation would work, but now it's the same C++ error as in February.

All I was told before is that the X3 installer is looking for the wrong C++ file. OK - Why is that? How do I help it find the right one? And why does this install fail effect my old Sonar 8.5? I know C++ files shouldn't be deleted, because various programs use different versions, and those programs would be broken if their associated C++ files were deleted. Like most people, I have a slew of C++ files, and that seems to be normal.

If someone here is an expert and knows what can be done to remedy this, please let me know. I can't wait long for a fix, because I need to continue work I'm in the middle of in Sonar 8.5.

Randy Bummed Out Bowser

Re: X3 install: FAIL - C++ again-Need computer expert help

I've already run my Restore Point. I wanted to work tonight in Sonar 8.5, now I can. So disgusted. Next step - need to have a refund on X3 which for whatever mysterious reason, refuses to work on my machine.

R

Sorry to hear about the trials and tribulations installing X3. I'm glad I didn't bite at the latest attempt from Cakewalk to yet again upgrade to X3. X2 is well sufficient enough for my needs. Heck 8.5 was for that matter. But you get caught up in the "new and improved" presentation of the companies ad farm.

As reference what is your operating system and is it 32 bit or 64 bit? Is the CPU a dual core or quad core or is it newer yet? I think some of those listed would make it easier for any experts to diagnose your problem with the install.

I know that support will dwindle for earlier versions but as the old saying says: "If it ain't broke..."

I guess the same is for Windows XP. I have a machine (older spare machine) that runs fine on XP. Since it is not connected to the internet, no big deal. I guess.

I hope Cakewalk resolves this to your favor and corrects the C++ problem for other installers.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    ...As reference what is your operating system and is it 32 bit or 64 bit? Is the CPU a dual core or quad core or is it newer yet? I think some of those listed would make it easier for any experts to diagnose your problem with the install...
    It's 64 bit, 6 cores. Someone at the Sonar Forum told me to run "Dependency Walker"-- Fine, I did - but I have no idea what the results mean. I ran the X3 .exe file through that program for analysis, and it came up with a list of about 10 .dlls that are supposedly missing, API Windows files. But just now at a Forum, I saw a thread about this free program, Dependency Walker, commonly listing .dlls as missing when they aren't. So, none of that helps.

I'm just getting on with work, using trusty old 8.5. I wouldn't be caught dead using the X1 I have here on the computer, I should probably just uninstall that. X2 wasn't much of an improvement from what I see users say. But X3 is very highly touted, and not just by the Cakewalk faithful. It's supposed to leave the previous Xs totally in the dust. Oh well!

WHY would installing X3 screw up my 8.5--? Same message error appearing on 8.5 as on X3 - That is, until I just dialed it all back to a point before today's installation. I had to do a Restore Point, by the way, because just uninstalling the previous X3 demo didn't get rid of the problem. So this time, I just went straight to Restore instead of trying to uninstall. Everything's fine now. Guess my challenge now is to convince Cakewalk they have to give me a refund.

Randy

Same feeling here. Installation without any problems, but X3e (32 bits) won't work with Altiverb. The Cakewalk guys blame Altiverb for it, but I doubt it. Altiverb works fine with 8.0 / 8.5.3 / X1 . So what changed? Nothing but the Cakewalk programming. A quick conclusion: Cakewalk is to blame for it. Even the latest reply on this problem didn't work.

Before any installation I always make a System Backup, makes it easier to roll back.

Raymond

Hi Randy,

If you PM with you Dependency Walker and other diagnostics that you have, I can take a look. It sounds like you have something "weird" on your machine (likely via a bad combination of Windows Updates). If you can send a list of the unapplied Windows Updates, it can help.

While it is likely that Cakewalk is partly to blame here, we all have to keep in mind that Windows 7 is a complicated beast and is susceptible to viruses and incorrect update combinations that cause otherwise fine programs to misbehave.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jdsnyderii View Post
    ...It sounds like you have something "weird" on your machine (likely via a bad combination of Windows Updates)...
    Jim! That could very well be it. For a period of a year, I had automatic Windows updates stopped. Then, when things went screwy with the X3 demo earlier this year, I started to go back and manually choose about 5 updates to run at a time, because something like 90 of them had accumulated. Then - I just forgot about it again, and when I did think about the updates, I just didn't want to stop and have a hole in my day while they got installed! -- So - there's no doubt it's a screwy bunch of updates I do and don't have.

Before seeing your message, I was putting together data from running Dependency Walker - The guy at Sonar who told me about DW asked to see the results. I will Gladly send them to you, see if any of it makes sense. Hmmm - I'll try to get a list of uninstalled Windows updates too - only if I can C&P the names, the list is so long!

In any case, I'll send you something via PM - and THANK YOU for offering to take a look.

Randy

I am so sorry to hear of the issues with X3 and your computer, Randy. Nasty stuff those C++. I also was one of those who took the plunge and picked up the X3 Producer upgrade. Mind you I already had X2 and it was working fine before I bought X3. I didn't install it until last night as I was working on a big project in Finale so I didn't want to take the chance of X3 screwing up what I was working on. Since that project was done I decided to give it go and hope for the best. So far there haven't been any issues. Everything seems to be working smoothly. Sonar is working fine (including adding all the updates through "E") and so is Finale.

What probably helped in my case is when I had to do a fresh install with Windows 7 back in December when my computer crashed. That's when I changed over to a 500 gig HDD drive with a 1 terabyte backup drive for all my music files. This also included every update for Windows 7. I hated spending all the time to reinstall everything. It certainly was not my first choice, but I really didn't have any other option with a totally non-functioning computer. Fortunately I was able to access my crashed drive and download any potential lost files, specifically music files. One thing you might keep in mind IF you decide to try this again at some time. In the past I've had to switch off my virus protection to install Sonar. I didn't have to this time and it is working OK, but I know in earlier installs I needed to.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

UPDATE 4/9/14

I spent the day yesterday on this. All Windows updates were finished, and I went online to Microsoft to get any C++ files that didn't seem to be in my list. After that, I installed X3 again.

This time - Success - X3 opened up, I had a look at the goodies. Swell.

Had to check my old Sonar 8.5.---no dice - same thing as before. It has the Runtime Error message preventing it open. Remember the first time I installed X3, neither it or 8.5 would open. So, this was an improvement, but not what I want. It just makes me too nervous to not have 8.5 still available on the machine - I have to get that going too.

The rest of the day, for hours and hours, I tried to remedy things with umpteen usages of Restore Point, done in Safe Mode - But every danged time I did that - my CPU meter on the desktop shot up to 100% and stayed there! The tower was wheezing away and totally freaking me out. At first I was just trying to get back to pre-X3 install but after the Windows updates - WHIRRRR!- 100% Then I tried to go farther back, a couple of days - still, when the restore was finished, CPU at 100% - I stubbornly tried over and over - The only thing that put an end to it all was to just go back to the most current state with X3 installed and 8.5 dead. That's the only point in time when CPU runs normally.

Really needing to catch up on lost work, I went ahead and worked on my current music project in X3. Naturally it felt like I was cooking in someone else's kitchen - don't know where the tools are, how some work, it all feels strange. Of course I already knew that X3 has stayed with what I think is the worst looking software interface ever invented, the same as with X1, and I knew handy items were still hiding in menus, as in X1, that the PRV is clumsier to use etc etc - But I'll adapt.

A computer expert here at the Forum is helping me, and has offered to take a look around when I have time via Windows Remote Assistance. Either with his help, or one way or the other, I'm sure at some point this crazy C++ Runtime problem will be licked, and I'll have what I want - both Sonar 8.5 and X3.

Randy

Not fun, not fun at all. Yikes!

I hope you can get this worked out. I really never went back to 8.5 after upgrading to X1. I just bit the bullet and learned the interface. But then, I don't have a schedule that requires an operating DAW as much as you do.

Good luck and keeps us informed.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum