• Register
  • Help

Topic: Invitation to listen to a couple short demos

Share/Bookmark

Invitation to listen to a couple short demos

Some of you may recall a few of my messages about a sample library I am producing. I promised more information and a few demos before the end of the month. So here I am making true on my word.

http://home.swbell.net/jdtolman/

These are test recordings of my theories, and I do believe they were successful. I set out to create realistic slurred runs and melodies. The samples are all multisamples, not prerecorded phrases or runs. I\'m just beginning the recording now, so it will be several months before anything is ready for sale, and many more before the whole library is available -- but it\'s coming eventually.

Please let me know what you think of them, and how I can make improvements. I\'m new to this whole thing, so it\'s a learn-as-I-go process.

Thanks!

Re: Invitation to listen to a couple short demos

Very nice dude. You may be on to something for creating runs and slurrs without having to sample every possibility. If that is what your doing, you may have a nich market. I\'m sure you realize your competition is stiff and absolutly insane and well funded. If you can create the ability to create custom runs and slurs that can work at any speed and distribute MIDI files of the techniques and keep the price reasonable, you might do well.
    Good luck
    Dave

Peoples,

I\'ve been talking with Aenigma through Emails for a little bit. (Actually I have to reply, I\'ve jsut been WAY too busy and I am finally coming down.)

He\'s on to some really cool stuff here. He\'s actually very innovative and I\'m really anxious to get my hands on what he\'s doing.

He\'s definitely into making this stuff he\'s doing a really cool easy to use \"feature\".

Him and the guys at Vienna are both doing some really cool stuff with \"movement\" from note to note.

Man sometimes I forget about how cool things are going to be soon.

I had no problem downloading either demo. The legato effect sounds excellent.

Aenigma,
    Could elaborate on what technique you\'re developing...or is this hush hush??? I\'d love to hear your \'theories\'! These demos sound great!

JPS

Aenigma, you\'re getting great results! I love the horn intervals! (I\'m a sucker for horns but you all know that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] )

I\'m guessing these samples are in a pretty early stage since I\'m hearing the same click on the E in the horn interval demo.

Also the recording quality seems to be a little below par but I\'m not one of those who complain about this!

I think I know how you\'re doing this, but I don\'t want to reveal your programming ideas to the whole community, in case you want to keep the secret safe. I might have some useful advice for you, as I\'ve always been a big fan of interval samples. If you email me (jzjz@nospam-online.no) (take out the nospam-) we can discuss this in private.

Anyway, wonderful work. They already sound very useful to me. Especially the flute! When can I buy the library? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Thomas

Wow! Thanks for such a positive response, and is quite encouraging.

JPS: My \"theory\" in general is fairly simple - I believe that a great deal of realism happens \"between the notes.\" As such, I\'m simply recording that. I made a post a while back with some very early ideas - http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002487#00 0000 - all of this stems from wanting to have a clarinet sample with pad noise. The \"secret\", if you will, is in the way they are programmed.

Thomas_J: The clicks you hear in the horn are a result of some pretty severe pitch correction. Getting this first recording session together was a nightmare to say the least (due to some emails never being recieved), and my horn player had been awake for nearly 24 hours before the session started, so to say he was tired is quite an understatement. The good news is that I don\'t think any other session I do could be quite as difficult. ;-)

About the recording quality: My university\'s recording studio supports 48kHz/24-bit audio at best, so I just recorded right at 44.1. Also, due to some miscommunication, these recordings are MONO only, but WILL be stereo in the final version. The problem seems to be the A/D converter, which only goes to 48kHz, would it be worth renting something better to get up to 88.1 or 96?

If you tried to listen to the flute demo, and it wouldn\'t play -- I apologize for that error. I think I have fixed that issue.

Originally posted by Aenigma:
    Wow! Thanks for such a positive response, and is quite encouraging.

JPS: My \"theory\" in general is fairly simple - I believe that a great deal of realism happens \"between the notes.\"
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I remember your post on this subject, I\'m glad I\'ve been sitting back and waiting... for something that would address the huge hole in midi sampling, BETWEEN the notes! : [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Nice work, I\'m glad I\'ve been sitting back and waiting...

Rick

Go Back to forum