• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: CHALLENGE #30 Anyone?

Thumbs up CHALLENGE #30 Anyone?

Challenge #29 has now officially ended with the awarding of the prizes. Happy to report that each of the three people who tied for first place got the prize of their choice.

NOW THEN: Who's up for #30? Which of you fine winning entrants:

• RichR
    • Composing at Night
    • tedvanya

would like to suggest a theme for the contest? Something like we already had, if you like - a request from a fictitious client for a short piece of music, or maybe you have something even more exciting in mind? I will be happy to host the competition again.

I would suggest that we keep it to a short piece of music with a short deadline, since that format seemed to work very well.

Will there be prizes? - I hear you ask. Not planning on that, but if someone wants to put something up as a prize, I'm sure nobody will complain! Personally, I work for donuts.
    __________________________________________________ _________________
    My website: www.tunespace.net

Re: CHALLENGE #30 Anyone?

I am up for another challenge, but coming up with another scenario as clever and witty as yours, my friend, would be the most difficult challenge of all. I can only go by my own personal experiences with the needs of my clients in the concert, performing world so feel free not to use any of these suggestions since others will definitely have better suggestions than me:

1. Brand new school needs an alma mater
    2. Brand new school needs a fight song
    3. A warm-up for an ensemble
    4. Fanfare
    5. Music written for children (k-8) to play
    6. Wedding music
    7. Funeral music
    8. Arrangement of a hymn.

Others could expand on these suggestions making a story as in challenge #29.

Suburban NYC

Hi Friends,

Glad to see another challenge already in the development stage!

Just a reminder/note that Easter Week/Passover begins this coming Sunday/Monday (April 13-14). For those of us who observe, this is a very difficult period to find free studio time! Easter Sunday is April 20th this year.

Looking forward to "No. 30"!

Frank D'Erasmo
    FABD Music - Arrangements-Orchestrations
    All Styles ... Specializing in Jazz, Theater, Latin & Pop

Garritan JaBB, GPO, CoMB, World, GAS, Stradivari Violin & GigaStudio. Sonar X2 Producer, Pro Tools, Performer & Finale.

I like some of composingatnight's ideas. Anyone else from the Winner's Circle want to suggest anything? Or anyone else for that matter?

Observations about Easter noted. After the 20th might be a good time interval since the last challenge.

I'm thinking, I'm thinking. Give me a few days...

BTW Cute Pom Poms Randy
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

No huge rush! Probably won't begin for a couple of weeks. Just trying to keep the topic hot!

Just a quick bump! All ideas/suggestions for a theme for Challenge #30 are welcome from anyone.

How about some pi?

I ran across this video at a couple of months ago and thought it was quite clever:

I think it would make a fun challenge to take whatever can be found within the digits of pi and use it to seed a bass line, melody, chord structure etc. I'd propose the limiting requirements as a 2min maximum track length and an a brief explanation of how pi was used to seed the piece after the contest is over.

To get the creative gears rolling, I took 100 digits of pi from http://turner.faculty.swau.edu/mathe...i/pibases.html and transcribed a set of midi files according to the following rules:

Harmonic Versions:
    Pi base 7 mapping {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6} to {c, d, e, f, g, a, b} (C Major)
    Pi base 7 mapping {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 4, 6} to {a, b, c, d, e, f, g} (A minor}
    Pi base 8 mapping {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} to {c, d, e, f, g, a, b, c(next octave)} (C Major)
    Pi base 8 mapping {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7} to {a, b, c, d, e, f, g, a(next octave)} (C Major)

Chromatic Version:
    Pi base 12 mapping {0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, A, B} to {c, c#, d, d#, e, f, f#, g, g#, a, a#, b}

The midi files can be found here. They of course dull and random sounding, but try changing up the instrumentation, note lengths, rhythm, articulations, some slow attacks, you might find something in there.

To my ear, the Pi base 7 / a minor mapping and the chromatic mapping seem to have the most interest, but you may hear it differently.

Let me know what you think.

Go Back to forum