• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Is VSL really practical?

Is VSL really practical?

I\'m one of the many who has followed the development of orchestra libraries over the last couple of years. Back around Christmas the hype surrounding VSL was just killing me - I HAD to try something from VSL. I decided to start cheap because I didn\'t want to blow all my dough in one spot right off the bat. I figured if one product was good, then they all will be good. So I purchased the VSL OVERDRIVE collection. All I can say is WOW! And I mean WOW in every way.

For starters the sound - WOW! This is AMAZING! And I\'m not kidding. This is simply the most amazing set of overdrive guitar sounds I\'ve ever heard.

Then I was WOWed by the sheer volume of samples. 6 Gigs! OH MY. This wow was more of an overwhelming wow. How does one manage to sample 6 gigs of Guitar and only have one guitar sound?

Well I let that wow go because I was preparing to be wowed by the parts I could create. And that\'s when the next WOW came in. As I dug through samples I found I could create just about anything I wanted.... the next question is how?

And so I tried to create a gtr lead. A little 8 bar solo was all I needed. Not super complicated. Again I was wowed. Why? it took me almost 2 hours to get everything like I wanted it! 2 hours for 8 bars! Sure it sounds great, but the time involved was totally not worth the trade off for time. Why did it take so long? Because I had to dig through all the sounds to find the right sample/articulation. Since none of the files are small you can\'t even load quickly to try - you have to load and then move on. Or end up with 6 gigs of samples loaded up just to find the articulations you need!

So then I dug a little more into the sample guide that comes with VSL. And I noticed all these \"performance\" patches. \" Oh Cool\" I thought. \"Surely there\'s an easier way\". But then I couldn\'t find the performance tool! I went to the VSL website and from the best I can tell, you have to buy their super expensive library to get the performance tool.

And So I\'m Wowed again. WOW, I can\'t believe a company would sell a library of 6 gigs worth of samples that is so extensive you really can\'t control them without their special tool - the \"Performance Tool\". But to get that tool you have to buy into their big libraries.

And so that leaves me with the question: Is it even worth it? Is it practical? Why does a company take so much pride in counting samples? As though the sheer number of samples actually accomplishes a great library. To me a great library is one that sounds good, is easy to use, and with which you can quickly and accessibly get the instrument to sound like you need it to so you can go on creating.

From my experience VSL sounds as good as it gets but falls short in the real test - useability. Now some have said the real usability of VSL is found in this performane tool - but how can I know? I don\'t have it and as far as VSL is concerned I\'m not going to have it until I spend a butt load of money.

Well I\'m not going to spend that money because VSL\'s competition is giving their performance tools away. When I bought GOS, it came with Maestro Tools. When I bought GPO, the tools are built right into the sampler! I haven\'t got QLSO but from what I can tell everything you need to use these samples is there, right out of the box.

However, I can\'t use VSL Overdrive to it\'s fullest because I don\'t have this performance tool. Not only that, I can\'t even BUY the tool without buying a bigger collection.

Now I could be wrong, but this is the best information I can get. And if this is so, then I can\'t see the practicality of VSL. But I\'m posting this because I WOULD LIKE to see the practicality of it and I would like to also be able to get my money\'s worth out of my 6 gigabyte power chord library!

So, would somebody be kind enough to respond to these thoughts and prove me wrong?

Thanks [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: Is VSL really practical?

But to get that tool you have to buy into their big libraries
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">to get access to the downloads for your products you will need to register - of course you can download the performance tool for the overdrive as well as the respectice tool presets.
    in case something went wrong i\'d ask you to send a short note providing your serial number to support@vsl.co.at
    kind regards, christian

Is this true Christian? I registered and gained access to the download and when I tried to download it I recieved a message that I was not eligible for the Performance tool with Overdrive. I\'ll try it again. Maybe the website was having a bad day?

Nope - I tried it again and it says no tools available for my product. But clearly there are multiples of performance patches in the collection.

Hi... after you go to \"downloads\" you have a menu in the left side of the screen... one says \"tools\"... click that [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    [QB] Why? it took me almost 2 hours to get everything like I wanted it! 2 hours for 8 bars!QB]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I think this is an important point. Thinking of buying VSL myself, a few weeks ago I talked with another composer I used to work with on a TV show about VSL and he basically said that in his high time pressure environment, it really doesn\'t work for him in a practical sense.

Although I am just a hobby person now, I still value getting things put together quickly. It\'s the same reason I usually sketch on paper rather than in a notation program. And if I am composing on the fly via MIDI, I need to be able to get at everything fast. If my brain has to switch into \"how do I make this program/machine do this\" mode for too long while composing, I lose my flow and everything basically comes to a halt.

How do other VSL users feel about this?

It\'s bulky and unwieldy because of the Legato instruments, BUT, you don\'t have to use them. You can make a whole orchestral preset, from piccolo to double bass sections, with patches from the Cube ,with only one computer.

Alex Cremers

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

It takes a while to get up to speed on VSL. It\'s worth it once you do.

The performance tool is definitely available for Overdrive.

sorry if i have not been clear enough - please visit the product registration in the user area to register overdrive providing your serial number.
    in case the website had a bad day during your last registration please send your serialnumber to support@vsl.co.at to get everything sorted out

The legato tools saves a lot of time - of course, with great results. The explosion of articulations in VSL libs can be daunting but need not be i.e. you don\'t need to use them or you can use a smaller set of them. If you write a violin line with 32nd, 16th, and 8th notes, you can use the same sample for good results or use different articulation samples for even better results. One member of the VSL forum wrote a SONAR Cal file that will filter out different note lengths notes from a track. This is another time saving approach. GOS, for example, also has a large number of articulations. But, like Bruce says, it\'s a matter of getting acquainted with all of your option and deciding on how close to \"perfection\" you want to get. Obviously, work goes more quickly the more you use these lib.

Go Back to forum