• Register
  • Help

Topic: Food for thought....

Food for thought....

Having watched this board for the past several days and just kind\'ve laying back and observing and it is obvious to see that this community is quickly being divided down the middle.

I would like to make some points:

Point 1.
    What makes a forum great? Is it the format, the design, or the memembers? Without a doubt I think it\'s the memebers. Take a look at the other \"giga\" forums on the net and I think it\'s easy to see what I mean. There are several other forums that are well put together and look nice but a pretty much barron. Why? I\'m not sure really but they are for whatever reason.

Point 2.
    What constitutes someone getting banned? Donnie was banned \"because he was mean to other users\" when in fact, from what I can see, he was just defending himself. A certain user on here has been allowed to run all over several people (mostly developers, hmm....) and contribute nothing but problems. I mean here\'s a guy who has not only been allowed to attack unrestrited BUT has even been allowed to make jokes about certain places of the country that he obviously know nothing about. All this person does is try to stir up trouble. For awhile this went undetected but now other users are catching on with his attacks of Nick. So my question is why is person, who contributes nothing but problems, allowed to stay and in return we sacrifice one (now maybe two) developers who contribute news and other helpful advice. Notice I\'m not even having to mention this persons name because we all know who he is...

Point 3.
    Let\'s take a closer look at whats going on with the \"no advertise\" policy. Let\'s face it, everything happens because of something. It\'s the old cause and effect principle. The statement from the moderators that \"we have just decided to inforce this rule\" really insults our intelligence doesn\'t it?
    Now, why would someone choose to pay extra to put a forum on another site instead of hosting it on their own website where it\'s not going to cost them anything extra? How\'s this for a hypothesis...A developer knows that all giga related traffic comes here to learn how to use their new software. So when they do they just happen to learn about this new library with it\'s own forum. I must admit that\'s a pretty good advetising scheme! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

So far no problems...but...now that person see\'s a bunch of other developers posting news about their libraries and gets miffed because he is paying all this money for his own forum. Ok, this is where the problem arises. Now, because this person is spending money every month with the forum he now has some clout over what happens. Following me so far? So he see\'s these posts and asks the question...\"why should they get to post when I\'m paying all this money?\".

BINGO! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and now you have it...the simple explination as to why developers can not post now.

If someone can give a better explination then I would love to hear it. But remember, it\'s a law of nature, there has be a cause for an effect so you can\'t just say \"well it\'s because it is...\"

The moderators have been as so bold to say \"If you don\'t like it then you can exercise your right to go somewhere else\"...well.....

Again,just some food for thought...

Re: Food for thought....

Hi Donnie. How are things down in Memphis?

Originally posted by Z6:
    Hi Donnie. How are things down in Memphis?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Isn\'t it amazing, ironic, and best of all appropriate that this person respond first AND they way he did? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Keep it up...I love how easy you make this for me!

1. Yes... in most cases, the members are what make a forum great, and it is certainly the case here.

2. As a bystander without bias, I would have to say that Donnie made a big mistake in that he took certain comments that had little or nothing to do with him as a personal attack. However, I also agree that the other user in question has always been a complete *** , and few things would make me happier than to see someone shut him up.

3. I may have comments on this later...

It is most unfortunate that the very person(s) who need psychiatric counselling and care the most fail to realize their own illness.

Mental Health begins with honesty and clarity. A healthy, beautiful mind is honest with itself. Once you begin lying to yourself and others and believing the lie it is a downward spiral from there.

Does this forum have an agenda for those who help fund it? Probably. In fact it seems pretty obvious on where the bias lies here.

I guess we can either choose to use it or not. The more sarcasm and mudslinging I read from developers (and/or their cohorts), the less interested I am to actually use this forum as a place to solve actual problems.

\"P.S. I\'m curious, Scott, not that I want to keep talking to you: Why are you submitting your posts from the Catholic Diocese of Memphis?\"

Perhaps Scott is an alter boy when he is not working for Donnie.

Let me get this straight. So basically, Scott, what you\'re basically saying is this:

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

First of all..

Scott, could you please tell Donnie that I accidentally lost his email and I would like him to resend it. He should have my email.

I think it is unfortunate that people are banned at all, but Donnie had been warned in the past, and I think this \"attack\" on G-Town triggered the ban.

Lets all forgive and forget.

Having said this I still don\'t understand why people have so much against Z6. He\'s the funniest guy we have on the board even if he crosses the line every now and then. I\'m sure he doesn\'t mean everything he says. He just likes watching peoples reactions to his provocative posts.

I think it is pretty much harmless fun.

People who don\'t like him or don\'t think he\'s funny, just ignore him. It\'s simple as that.

I don\'t think anyone would dispute your first point, though I would urge you to consider the possibility that this forum, nay, any forum, is more than the sum of its participants, discussions, announcements, etc. PaPa Chalk and Desound deserve a substantial share of the credit for providing and maintaining this venue.

Now, as for Z6 (just come out and say his name; you\'re not earning brownie points by holding back), he\'s a big dog, and I suspect he will soon take another leak on your leg, pup, if the moderators don\'t leash him. Yes, he\'s a mean SOB (Silly Old Bear), but anyone who owns the English language the way he does should be free to run around unteathered . . . as long as he doesn\'t take a dump on the carpet. And maybe, just maybe, some folks here will finally see how easy it is to hit the space bar between \"a\" and \"lot,\" if they can ever read Z6\'s posts without immediately convulsing in rage. BTW, the contrast between Donnie and Z6 is night and day, but I\'d rather move on than waste my time illustrating it for you.

Your third point is yet another pathetic attempt to implicate Gary (for goodness sake, just say his name). Unless you\'ve been wire tapping phone conversations or capturing e-mail exchanges and, thus, know something the rest of us befuddled sods don\'t know, you\'re grasping at straws, to put it mildly. Do you have any idea how many people you are insulting at the moment? BTW, I think of myself as a fairly smart guy, and yet the moderators\' recent decision to enforce their policies doesn\'t insult my intelligence one bit, contrary to your utterly brilliant opinion. But then I\'m one of Gary\'s many friends, so of course it wouldn\'t bother me. (Pssst! Gary, we\'re right on schedule.)

What baffles me the most is why Sean hasn\'t fired your sorry hide yet, assuming you really aren\'t Donnie (the consistent spelling errors and mock civil tone do belie your forum identity). Even PR guys worth their weight in dirt never, I repeat, NEVER engage the public in these types of exchanges, at least not without losing their jobs in the first 15 minutes. You have no idea, do you? It\'s almost pathological.

To the rest of you: Yes, my comments don\'t foster peace and brotherly love. But I\'m not in a nurturing mood at the moment (I, too, am a moody SOB; just ask my wife of 17 years). Nonetheless, if you want to yell at me but not in public, my e-mail address is pshove@ghs.com.

P.S. I\'m curious, Scott, not that I want to keep talking to you: Why are you submitting your posts from the Catholic Diocese of Memphis?

Go Back to forum