• Register
  • Help

Topic: Processing Strings (really related to older libraries)

Processing Strings (really related to older libraries)

I know some people will think I am insane but, I do like the sounds of ultimate strings. Some patches like the 3 layer Cellos or esspecially Expressive Violas have such a nice (reminds me of SISS) I guess it would be best termed rosin like tone. I hear about people putting EQ (any info as to specific settings?)to string libraries and I thought I heard about Compression, which interests me because many of these samples almost pulsate starting soft getting too loud (I\'m curious can I record them separate and compress then some way to even their volume and if so just how much compression - etc) I do intend on purchasing other strings shortly but, still I like to \"fiddle\" and would like to know how to do the best I can with what I have first.

Re: Processing Strings (really related to older libraries)

I really think you should try a new string library otherwise you will end upp loosing all your musical creativity by spending time tweeking your old library.
    That is my opinion

Nice suggestion - as I said I intend to but, for now I\'d still like to know the trick people used to make these sound great... .

EQ is more about the journey than the destination.

That\'s a very pretentious way of saying that it depends. EQ lets you make a sound brighter or take away low mids or whatever, so it depends on what you want it to sound like in the end. I used to get a lot of \"where should I set my compressor\" questions and it depends a lot on the input and what you want the end result to sound like.

So it\'s tough to recommend an EQ setting for strings without hearing them in context. One good thing to do would be to play something similar when you\'re mixing. Try playing something like \"Shindler\'s List\" after you\'ve been mixing your track for a while. When you finish weeping uncontrollably, you\'ll have a better reference point for your mix. If you listen to three CDs and think, \"wow, they\'re all really bright!\" then your mix is probably too dark.

Or you can just try my secret for great-sounding strings: gobs and gobs of reverb. Play you mix into a reverb, turn the mix all the way up, then plug that into a second reverb. Then you\'re starting to get somewhere.

(I forgot to put winky smilies in there so the conspiracy theorists and sarcasm-challenged are going to have to figure out where they\'re supposed to go for themselves.)

If you\'re having a problem with the string attacks being too soft at the beginning, or conversely too loud at the peak, an alternative to compression is simply processing the individual wavs in an audio editor.

Some audio editors let you draw a volume envelope around the waveform, which would let you compensate for the \'too soft\' attack. You could export the wav from Giga to the editor, make the change, save and the wav in Giga is updated. It\'s quick and visual.

If the \'loudness\' your talking about is simply level (and the strings aren\'t doing a real crescendo) you could make a version of the wavs which has the soft attack chopped off and then impose your own envelope on the \'loud\' portion of the wav using Giga\'s envelopes. This would give you much more control over expression than when you\'re stuck with the long fade ins. Many of the nicer string sets I\'ve heard in romplers use a single fast attacking string sound for many patches, but apply varying vca envelopes to change the character for each one.

Go Back to forum