• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Advice on ensemble strings

Share/Bookmark

Advice on ensemble strings

Hey there,

I\'d like an advice on the best samples for ensemble strings. My budget isn\'t in the Garritan Orchestral strings-area so is there a good alternative?

Re: Advice on ensemble strings

Miroslav String Ensembles. *snicker*

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by A_Sapp:
    Miroslav String Ensembles. *snicker*
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Aaron, on some levels, that is an unmatched library. FYI.

Hello Paul,

I get a lot of mileage out of a combination of Advanced Orchestra Strings and the Dan Dean Solo Strings. Using some crafted layers of the solo and ensemble strings goes a long way for me in the arrangements I do.

Kevin

Has anybody tried out out Garritan Lite?

I need to buy a string library soon within the £200 price bracket tops so it will have to be Garritan Lite or AO.

Are there any demos of the Garritan Lite strings?

Adrian

I think what Bruce said about Miroslav is true. He recorded the strings in a hall and added reverb as well so they sound fairly lush. Although there is no release trail. He also captured somewhat expressive sustains. Although, there is usually only one dynamic. The aggressive and short stuff is useless in my opinion. Stay away from the mini version, though. I recommend AO strings, if the budget is tight. And the faster strings in AO are decent.

GOS Lite, and Dan Dean Solo Strings

Actually Dan Dean Solo and just about any String library.

Its only one layher (Forte), but with some filters and volume adjustments (or even better sample tweaking) it could be used to mimic some of the lighter dynamics, especially over ensemble strings.

DDSS over some string ensemble libraries is probably one of the best sampled string sounds I\'ve heard, ever.

Of course SI and GOS are great libs and are worth the $$$ in my opinion.

Hi

Went to Garritans web page and found a ton of Demos, but all these were done with Full Version.

Is there a Demo site or Demos that use GOS Lite version on the web anywhere?

Is Dan Deans Solo strings hard to tweak/program? Can it be used with a breath controller. Will a Breath Controller make a difference?

Please shed dome light its dark in here.

Originally posted by KingIdiot:
    GOS Lite, and Dan Dean Solo Strings

Actually Dan Dean Solo and just about any String library.

Its only one layher (Forte), but with some filters and volume adjustments (or even better sample tweaking) it could be used to mimic some of the lighter dynamics, especially over ensemble strings.

DDSS over some string ensemble libraries is probably one of the best sampled string sounds I\'ve heard, ever.

Of course SI and GOS are great libs and are worth the $$$ in my opinion.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks KI,

Your thoughts and advice are, as usual, always appreciated.

Do you know how much of an effect only having the two velocities (forte and piano I believe) has an GOS Lite in comparison to the full version(not that I can afford the full - this just a hobby for the main part).

One other thing, is there any difference between the AKAI and Giga versions of GOS Lite and which in peoples opinion would work best in Halion?

Cheers

Adrian

Adrian

Hiya,

I think if I have the choice all over again, I would have bought the Lite version of Garritan instead of the slightly cheaper AO Strings version.

I find that all the samples in AO Strings are ok, but to me the recorded samples are just not on par with the Garritan samples. Garritan samples are clean, bright and in your face, whereas the AO samples have alot of bowing noise, especially in the cello.

Besides, Garritan Lite is a better investment simply because you can upgrade later if you ever have the money to go to the full Garritan.

I bought AO Strings and then the full Garritan 3 months later... Although AO Strings has taught me alot on programming, but everytime I look at it, I feel that its money wasted... [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

meeehoon

Go Back to forum